Pulled Pork Flavor lacking

rabeb25

Full Fledged Farker
So I smoked a 10lb pork butt last night, it was kind of an impromptu cook. Tried some new things with this cook also. Tried cherry wood for the first time, and it was the first time I just did a rub, and did not marinade/inject over night. Pulled it this morning, and I thought the flavor was lacking from my previous cooks, don't get me wrong it doesn't have a bad flavor or anything. Its in the fridge now and will be re-heated tomorrow for a little gathering. I was thinking that I could try and add some more flavor (smoke, rub, BBQ sauce) when I do this. I was thinking of doing a bit of seasoning, then heating it back up in the egg with some beef broth, and smoke wood. Or, should I just toss it in the crock pot with some BBQ and call it a day? This is the first butt (out of 5) that I feel I need to add something too, the rest it would have been a disgrace to add anything.

Thanks
Bryan

Trying pulling your pork, adding some rub and sauce, maybe even some brown sugar as well, and throwing it back on the smoker until it's good and hot. That should add another layer of smokey flavor as well as push the rub/sauce flavor into the meat. Also spritz it with some apple juice to make sure it stays moist.

How long did you smoke it for? Did you foil? If you foiled early that could be why it isn't as smoky flavored.

I always add a little extra rub to my pulled pork after pulling. Especially if it's a reheat.

A little apple juice also.

Cherry wood is a very mild wood for smoking.
If you want more smoke flavor I suggest doing half hickory or oak wood with cherry
When I reheat pulled pork in foil I will add a bit more of the rub and say a 1/3 cup of apple juice.

Not sure why you would want to add beef broth to pork...

I agree with the others... a light dusting of some rub, some salt, and a thinned out mix of your favorite sauce and some juice and maybe a splash of vinegar if the sauce is very sweet and you want some tangy flavor.

Hey thanks for the help guys!

I think the main thing I am noticing that is so different is the Smoke flavor. I am use to the big bold hickory and mesquite, and didn't really realize how soft cherry is. I will add a little hickory and heat it up in a open tin, sprinkle some rub and some apple juice. I think we will be golden.

Bryan

i've mixed some of this with re-heated pulled pork and i like it.

(danny's glaze)
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup yellow prepared mustard
simmer ingredients on stove till sugar disolved but do NOT let it boil.

Pretty much repeating some of the other suggestions, pull it, dust it with your rub but I've been using CranApple juice lately instead of straight up apple juice.

Scott

i've mixed some of this with re-heated pulled pork and i like it.

(danny's glaze)
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup yellow prepared mustard
simmer ingredients on stove till sugar disolved but do NOT let it boil.
Amen to that I use everything but the glaze vingar, mustard and apple juice work wonders

I would take a small portion of it and add what you think you are missing and if you find it go with that. Other than that good luck next time. I'm sure the others will not complain it's probably so much better already than anything they have ever had. Listen to what they say I bet you'll be surprised. We tend to be very critical of our own smokes.

Back