THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Longo1908

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey Brethern.....

Ive only cooked with Lump charcoal but notice that most here use briquettes. The Lump definetly imparts a strong distinct flavor onto the meat, and I was wondering if briquettes did the same?

There are several levels of quality of both lump and briquettes, but generally speaking, briquettes, unlike lump, have binders and other additives which some users say make an off taste to the meat. Lump is hotter burning and leaves less ash. Some brands of briquettes have no binders though.

I use Wicked Good Weekend Warrier lump almost exclusively. It leaves a light wood smoke taste when used by itself.

Hey Brethern.....

Ive only cooked with Lump charcoal but notice that most here use briquettes. The Lump definetly imparts a strong distinct flavor onto the meat, and I was wondering if briquettes did the same?

I started using KB only, dealing with lots of ash and an aftertaste that I just assumed with BBQ flavor.

After learking around BBQ Brethren for a while, I got curious about lump and tried RO, Mexican Mesquite Lump & Cowboy. Hardly any ash, no aftertaste, just the wood flavor of your choice.

I now use KB for the Dutch Oven and sometimes for starting the cook only.

Just my opinion. If you do try Coals, Stubbs is a better choice over KB. KB is the best if price is you main concern and don't mind the aftertaste and smell.

I don't notice a taste using KB in a smoker. I do using KB while grilling...in some cases there is a mineral, like iron, taste to steaks that really are put over a hot fire.

Lump is a pain to use and I only like to use WW.

I have used a lot of "Nature's Grilling" Hardwood 100% Natural Gourmet briquettes and they are great. Absolutely no fillers, mineral spirits or other additives. They are heavily compressed and leave little ash compared with other briquettes. I bought them at Walmart in Ontario, not sure where they are available in the US. Just recently I bought 12 bags of King, a very long burning gourmet lump with huge pieces. What I notice is that a chimney goes to ash much quicker with lump so I can cook sooner. Despite how light this lump feels compared to my natural briquettes it burns longer and does give less ash, important in a kamado. I'm learning that expensive lump can burn longer than expensive briquette which levels the cost between them somewhat -- despite how much they weigh before burning. I would absolutely buy that natural briquette brand again for shorter cooks but not for a long or overnight cooks where minimal ash production and charcoal size matters more.

I always smoke with briquettes for the even temps they give, but I am going to have to give lump a try I guess. I have never noticed an off flavor in any of my meat though, but my palette may not be the best. I usually use RO lump for grilling so next time I'll dump that in my mini WSM and see if I can maintain temps as easy.

I like using KB because you can load up when they're on sale.
I also like the unpredictable nature of using Mexican mesquite lump which is always priced at $10 for a 40 lb bag around here.

CHARCOAL BRIQUETTES and LUMP CHARCOAL

First we need to realize that not all charcoal is created equally or in the same methods of production. There are various levels of quality in production of both lump charcoal and charcoal briquettes (like anything else mass produced). Generally speaking briquettes have binders and other additives which hold them together and control the rate of burn.

Lump Charcoal - Just as it states, these are random sized pieces of hardwood charcoal. It is just wood that has been turned into charcoal using heat without combustion. Lump charcoal contains more carbon and less impurities. Lump charcoal will burn at a higher temperature and will leave less ash than briquettes.

Briquette Charcoal - Are uniform pillow shaped pieces of charcoal. Most briquettes are simply the left over production from the Lump Charcoal Producers and by-products of wood manufacturing products. They take the left over pieces and grind them to a consistent size and then use potato, wheat or corn starch as a binding agent. The alleged advantage of briquettes is that they burn at a lower temperature for a longer period of time.

Some say briquettes are ideally suited if you are doing ribs or using the low and slow cooking method for long hours. Briquettes now also come in flavors by impregnating bits of hickory or mesquite chips into the briquettes have for an added ease of usage.

Many users say the binders and additives used in briquette production give the meat an off taste during the cooking process.

Bottom line it is what you like to use or what works best for you...

I wanted to post this link to The Naked Whiz's database comparing a multitude of lump charcoal but didn't have time before I ran out of the house. Now that I'm back, here it is:

www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag11.htm

If you spend some time reading this database you will find out how true IamMadMan's statement is -- all charcoal is not equal.

In my teen years before I knew low and slow BBQ existed I chose briquettes over lump because they cooked longer and better on my little burger grills. When I bought my kamado last year I still had that old mindset, briquettes were better than lump, and just bought hardwood briquettes without added junk. I thought I was so smart, I picked up a bag of briquettes which was quite heavy, then I picked up a similar size bag of lump and it was light. I thought I knew everything I needed to. Several months later I found the Naked Whiz lump database and I read enough to understand where and what I had assumed wrong. Then I tried some good quality lump (too bad it isn't part of this database, it's King lump but not the BBQ King lump they reviewed). I learned that although lump burns quicker and hotter than briquettes in an "open to air" grill, it burns as cool and as long as you set it under the controlled air flow conditions of a smoker. That was my 'ahaa' moment and I've proved it in my own smoker this winter. In my kamado good quality 'light weight' lump burns longer than the good quality 'heavier' briquettes and produces even less ash. Length of burn is something to consider when comparing the cost of different charcoals. The ratio of very small pieces and dust (which is useless for cooking) to medium and large pieces in a bag of lump is also a factor to consider in cost. Some brands are notorious for including large amounts of useless small pieces and dust making them significantly more expensive than their sticker price.

I have used lump exclusively (all kinds and still experimenting) ever since I started bbq/grilling/smoking addiction from about 14 y/o (yes I love bbqing that much) and I will do so forever. If I ever had to use briquettes I would use Stubbs. I've only used one bag ever in my life just recently due to this great forum and to just try it. That's good stuff with nice flavor IF you absolutely have to use briquettes for the fact that there are no by products and funky flavors that will transfer to your food.

I wanted to post this link to The Naked Whiz's database comparing a multitude of lump charcoal but didn't have time before I ran out of the house. Now that I'm back, here it is:

www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag11.htm

If you spend some time reading this database you will find out how true IamMadMan's statement is -- all charcoal is not equal.

In my teen years before I knew low and slow BBQ existed I chose briquettes over lump because they cooked longer and better on my little burger grills. When I bought my kamado last year I still had that old mindset, briquettes were better than lump, and just bought hardwood briquettes without added junk. I thought I was so smart, I picked up a bag of briquettes which was quite heavy, then I picked up a similar size bag of lump and it was light. I thought I knew everything I needed to. Several months later I found the Naked Whiz lump database and I read enough to understand where and what I had assumed wrong. Then I tried some good quality lump (too bad it isn't part of this database, it's King lump but not the BBQ King lump they reviewed). I learned that although lump burns quicker and hotter than briquettes in an "open to air" grill, it burns as cool and as long as you set it under the controlled air flow conditions of a smoker. That was my 'ahaa' moment and I've proved it in my own smoker this winter. In my kamado good quality 'light weight' lump burns longer than the good quality 'heavier' briquettes and produces even less ash. Length of burn is something to consider when comparing the cost of different charcoals. The ratio of very small pieces and dust (which is useless for cooking) to medium and large pieces in a bag of lump is also a factor to consider in cost. Some brands are notorious for including large amounts of useless small pieces and dust making them significantly more expensive than their sticker price.
Wow that's a good write up, and really close if not to a T how I learns also. I'm a huge fan of only 3 type of lump. Tried them all.
Flavors of lump you like will depend on how you were raised. Being from Tx we grew up on B&B oak lump. It burns nicely and anyone that uses it knows there is a very distinct aroma when burning B&B oak lump Because it's mostly live oak. It doesn't have that typical lump smell. Central market mesquite is freakin awesome. I use his stuff almost exclusively for grilling. Nice big hunks and does not spark like your typical mesquite does. It's my belief that it's mostly Argentinian acacia which is similar to mesquite. Really great for low and slow beef. And then there is wicked good lump. Nice huge chunks and definitely the most dense lump I have used. It takes a little longer to get going but it lasts longer per bag than any other lump I have used. The price and availability is a negative for me though. $22 for 22 lbs after sales tax but the longer burn times offset the need for extra of the others.
For my personal use at home my opinion is close to smeagles on briquettes.
You can Keep them nasty chips
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYiCPmwOV4A&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]LOTR You keep nassty chips! - YouTube[/ame]

Back