Results from my first little charity gig

itschris

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
First of all, thank to everyone who helped me on the advice side... I appreciate it. To quickly recap, we had a charity event that included a silent auction. ONe of the items auctioned off was an upscale gourmet bbq from me. We sold it for $700.

The dinner was for 4 couples and went really really well. My wife and her friend got dressed in black pants and white tux shirts and served the guests in their home. I put my smoker on a trailer and brought it their house partly for the show.

I started 2 butts around midnight pm Friday night. I was planning on pulling them a tad early... around 2pm and coolering them while I put the bb's on. Well.... the butts took for ever. I had to put the ribs on while the butts were still around 180 degrees... on top of it, I forgot my rib rack so I had to lay the 3 slabs flat. For whatever reason... I think because of airlflow, the ribs never come out when they're flat. In my Cimmarron, they just need to be on their side to get tender. It's just weird. This time around was no exception. They came out a bit tough for my liking, but everyone raved. I made each rack different... one was Raspberry Chipotle, the other was Smoked Onion, and the last was a bourbon brown sugar. The butts were rubbed in Cinammon Chipotle rub over a mustard slather and Chris Lilly injection. Everyone was telling it was the best they ever had. Now granted, these are very wealthy people who probably only have Sonny's BBQ as a reference, but I'll take the compliment.

I made gruyere struffed maple fatties for snacking and grilled some pineapple for the side along with my wife and I's 7 cheese lobster mac & cheese. I made stuffed smoked pears for dessert which were out of this world and were gobbled up even after they packed in all the other food.

We served a different wine with each course and it all just came together. I learned a lot and came home with a lot of useful takeaways for the other bbq we're doing that was auctioned off. It was a great time. I hope to have some pics to post up soon.

Yes, yes I know... if there's no pics... it didn't happen. As soon as our friends get us the pics... they'll be up.

Hey Chris, nice work. Sounds like you impressed them!
I once cooked butts on my Cimmaron that took 20+ hours to finish. Not sure why, but it was a PITA!. I now only use a WSM for butts.
I use my Cimmaron exclusively for ribs, and they do need to be in a rib rack. Again, I don't know why.
Hope you get future gigs out of this!

Charity gigs are great, it can be a win win win.. Did a cook for Operation BBQ, we feed 6000 returning Striker's and their families. Without my knowing a Credit Union got my name and hired me to feed 1200 at $12.50 a head. I didn't do the charity work to get any paying work but "no good deed goes unpunished" as they say.

Great job (if it really happened)!

How about that mac & cheese recipe?

I'm curious about the bourbon brown sugar.

Back