New Smoker Time

Guys this thread has been super helpful. I now realize that I would love to have the ability to cook with both charcoal and sticks. The capability of the Lone Star Grillz offset seems to be exactly what I am looking for but just might not be doable with COVID and shipping costs.

I realize now that I am not sure exactly what to look for other than plate thickness to tell the quality of a smoker. I found some Canadian places that make custom smokers, but not sure how to parse the good from the bad.

Any tips on that would be super helpful.

I will link a few I have found if anyone has any input.

Bulldog BBQ
http://www.bulldogbbqs.com/bbq-smokers/bulldog-2200s-smoker/

Smith Steel
https://smithsteel.ca/smith-steel-products/smokers-and-grills

Any information would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for the information so far!

Phad.

The bulldog looks like the Canadian Old Country Brazos. Almost exact.

Is that good or bad. I think at this point that is the way I am leaning.

Well, I would say depending on the actual build quality it’s not a bad thing. It will work nicely but will require some learning on what it likes best e.g. split sizes, airflow, where the hotspots are, etc. Moving it around will be a pain with the steel wheels and lack of front casters. It would be nice to see one in person to check door seals and overall construction.
It will NOT be a set and forget. Fires will need to be checked every 15-20 minutes.

That said, I didn’t see prices. The Brazos is a great option here for the money, with the understanding there are even better options with better fit and finish for 2x-2.5x the price. I have one, because I was not ready for the additional investment. I’m happy with it, but I will probably upgrade in the future if I’m being honest.

The 1500s
1500S
Smoke chamber size : 36.5”x 20” diameter
Smoke chamber cooking grates : 2 tier slide outs
Firebox size : 18.5” x 20” diameter
Main construction : 1/4” steel
Grill grates in firebox : yes
Total Square cooking inches : 1474 square cooking inches
Weight : 500 lbs
Price : $2499.00

That is Canadian dollars. Do not have the pricelist for accessories for things yet. It might be a bit small. But I may not have many options, unless I want to pay a whole lot more for the line star 20x44.

Phad

These are the specs for the 1500s

1500S

That is Canadian dollars so around 1900 USD. The unit might be a bit small but way cheaper than the LSG 20x24 that I really love.

phad

Or a Shirley 24x36......they work and you will love it. Bama folks will get it to Canada without breaking the bank.

you just possibly sold me my future smoker. i like the idea of a stick burner and insulated all in one. not certain if you can get a true blue smoke. excellent... the slugger looks like a homerun

The guys over there at Ironside Smokers are fantastic...also the owner is a member of this forum. When I first found them I sent them a full on list of questions (some pertaining to the humid and acidic conditions here in eastern NC) and without a missed step the sent back a bulleted list answering every question in detail. They also said they were willing to work with me in terms of constructing a "wind guard" for the intakes as I'm right here by the ocean, so I get crosswind all the time.

I was in line for a build and out of the blue a guy on the forum just a couple hours up the road from me was selling a Spicewine Ironworks IVC....the price was too good and I couldn't say no. While the Spicewine is nice I'm kicking myself in the butt because I just had to put about $1000 into it to fix some design flaws (drain valve is mounted about 2" higher than the lowest point of the waterpan...why would anyone do that?)

I also just put another ~$3K into upgrading my BBQ food trailer so that I can meet health department requirements more easily in different areas. Good upgrades but it took just about all I had saved up to get it completed. So I'm starting over now saving up for the Ironside MULE...once I'm most of the way there I'll get back on the build list.

These are the specs for the 1500s

1500S

That is Canadian dollars so around 1900 USD. The unit might be a bit small but way cheaper than the LSG 20x24 that I really love.

phad

When it comes to "custom" smokers there's kind of a phrase which applies : "Buy once, cry once." If you buy Smoker A, but still want Smoker B, now you're out of the money you spent on A, and Smoker B is that much further away.

This forum is fantastic at spending other peoples money. If there's a smoker that you have your eyes on and that's really your "goal smoker" then may I suggest spending the time to save up a bit more $$? There's no point in buying Smoker B simply because it's available now, when you'll always want Smoker A. Then you're faced with finding the money for Smoker B, and trying to sell or trade Smoker A.

Good luck with whatever you choose. I totally understand the "I want it now" sentiment when it comes to offset smokers, but it's really better to just buy the one you want even if you have to wait for it. I was on the Ironside build list but it was a 6 month wait...so I bought something else, and now I'm STILL wanting an Ironside. Just my two cents, cheers buddy!

Very good point. This is a birthday present from my wife and family so not sure how it would go if I asked them to wait (they are weird with gifts). I am going to go checkout the bulldog and Smith units.

Any tips on what I should look for?

Very good point. This is a birthday present from my wife and family so not sure how it would go if I asked them to wait (they are weird with gifts). I am going to go checkout the bulldog and Smith units.

Any tips on what I should look for?

The Bulldog and Muskoka both look like good smokers. First need to figure out if you want a set and forget (IVC) or a stick burner where you'll need to watch over every 30 minutes--can be a long time on a 12-14 hour brisket cook.

Good luck!

If you are looking for a stick burner the Shirley 24 x 36 has nothing but 5 star reviews and sounds like they will ship to Canada. Maybe you can add some of your own $$ to the birthday money?

If you are looking for a stick burner the Shirley 24 x 36 has nothing but 5 star reviews and sounds like they will ship to Canada. Maybe you can add some of your own $$ to the birthday money?

I'm having fun with my Shirley, but it's definitely much more of a time/space commitment compared to a set and forget IVC.

The Shirley has a pretty big footprint, and you need somewhere to store a stack of wood.

The Bulldog and Muskoka both look like good smokers. First need to figure out if you want a set and forget (IVC) or a stick burner where you'll need to watch over every 30 minutes--can be a long time on a 12-14 hour brisket cook.

Good luck!

It looks like same stick burners can also burn charcoal for a more if a set it and forget it type of cook. So I was hoping to have the option for both.

I'm having fun with my Shirley, but it's definitely much more of a time/space commitment compared to a set and forget IVC.

The Shirley has a pretty big footprint, and you need somewhere to store a stack of wood.

Space is not an issue, I wrote the guys at Shirley, have not heard back yet.

It looks like same stick burners can also burn charcoal for a more if a set it and forget it type of cook. So I was hoping to have the option for both.

Not an expert by any means but I think I've read on this site that if you use charcoal on a stick burner you will use much more charcoal than on a IVC.

Many great options. I agree with the buy once cry once post!

I cooked on an old Brinkmann offset smoker for years. My Assassin 17 gravity fed smoker gives the same great smoked food with a fraction of the effort.

For those with a Shirley, can you also burn charcoal inatead of sticks?

Back