Uds temp controller - which one do you have?

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm thinking about asking Santa for a Temp Controller for my UDS and was wondering what models people are using.
Do they make any that connect to the 3/4" nipples and without a lot of modifications?
Who has the best price? I'm kind of thrifty so the most expensive is not an option for this Santa.
I don't know a lot about them. If you have pictures or links or comments, please post. Thanks for your help.

I have 2 UDSs and both have Pitmaster iQues on them. They do an excellent job of controlling the temp and allow me to get some sleep or do other things without having to monitor the temp. You can get other (more expensive) controllers with more bells and whistles but if you just want to control temps at a reasonable price, I would check this one out. It comes with a 1" pipe nipple for the UDS which is easily adapted down to 3/4". Here are some pics of it. I made the box to house it if the weather is bad. http://www.pitmasteriq.com/
Brisket2055.jpg

Brisket2002.jpg

Brisket2056.jpg

I have the same set up as smokeyw and have had no issues so far. :-D

I also have an iQue 110. A UDS will hold temp very good but its nice to have that piece of mind to know its right where it should be. I would highly recomend it. I would love a stoker for the fun tools it has but at about 1/3-1/4 the cost you cant go wrong.

What' s all this talk of Need, lol!

I experienced some strong winds one night that shot the UDS up 100* past target temp. It was calm as heck before bed. Woke up to a crispy but edible butt :redface:

What' s all this talk of Need, lol!

I experienced some strong winds one night that shot the UDS up 100* past target temp. It was calm as heck before bed. Woke up to a crispy but edible butt :redface:

Were you using a fan type controller at the time? Or just the valves?

I have an iQue 110. I found an adapter to 3/4 that fits perfectly into the hose and my ball valve at Lowes. Over by the sump pumps.

I never needed it for low and slow, but was having trouble ramping up the heat when doing chicken on the UDS. The iQue solved that. Plus, I get to sleep without worrying when doing overnight cooks.

The iQue110 seems to be a popular gadget for UDS temp control. Search the forum - there a few threads with reviews of this product.

I have a question for those using the iQue110 on a UDS. The IQue110 instructions indicate that top vent has to be closed some. Does this causes any issues with stale smoke? or do you still run with the top vent wide open?

Also have you had to make any changes to how you light your fire?

There is no issue with stale smoke from closing the exhaust slightly. The fan forces the smoke out. As far as lighting the fire, I do it exactly the same as I would if not using the iQue. I just let the iQue bring it up to temp.

I have a question for those using the iQue110 on a UDS. The IQue110 instructions indicate that top vent has to be closed some. Does this causes any issues with stale smoke? or do you still run with the top vent wide open?

Also have you had to make any changes to how you light your fire?

I just got done building my first uds and have not had a need to hook up my cyberq to it. I've got a brisket on it tonight and am using 3 magnents to control temp and its working well so far.

I have never used a controller, the UDS, holds pretty steady, that being said, Big brother smoke brings up a good point. The piece of mind knowing that the temp will hold steady through an unexpected breeze, rain etc. is certainly worth considering. My temps do fluctuate some in those conditions. Might think about adding one of those to my Santy's list also:-D

Like others have said, the UDS does a fantastic job of holding steady temps. However, it does fluctuate some and requires an occasional adjustment. The iQue takes that out of the equation and allows me to sleep or do other things. You don't HAVE to have it but it does take cooking on the UDS to another level :thumb:

Back