Bacon wrapped loin w/ black walnut (pr0n)

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Decided to do up a pork loin on Sunday. Being it has been hotter than all get out up here lately, I figured that it would be alot more comfortable to fire up the smoker than have the oven going. The only problem was even though I am for all things of smokey goodness, the rest of the family get tired of it at times. At first I came up with the idea of jus foiling the loin but, decided that wrapping it in bacon would work just as well and add some more flavor to it. And so began the journey of the pork loin.
I started by cutting any extra fat off the loin and gathered the rest of the ingredients together.
mms_picture-3-1.jpg

Then there was a bacon weave made that I sprinkled liberaly with some secret formula rub. Which was then used to wrap up the loin.
mms_picture-1-2.jpg

Of course, by about this time, I figured it was time to get the UDS up to chugging speed, only to realize that I didn't have any bags of smoking wood on hand. There has been this pile of Black Walnut that was given to me, just waiting by the smokers to be used but, I've shied away from it because of others stating how over powering it can be. But, I was out of everything else, So I sawed off a piece a little larger than a fist and threw it on the coals and crossed my fingers. On went the loin once the UDS was up to around 275.
135460023.jpg

The loin cooked on the UDS for around 3 hours until it reached an internal of about 150.
135478410.jpg

Only problem was, it cooked alot faster than I had planned, so it was wrapped, towelled, and set off to the side to sit for about an hour until the rest of dinner was ready. Here it is all ready to be cut up.
mms_picture-2-1.jpg

And here it is all sliced up.
135513822.jpg

Throw in some homemade garlic smashed taters with some veggies and a little sauce to top it off.
135516794.jpg

The flavor was awesome! The Black Walnut added some great flavor to the bacon and the outer layer of the loin, but, did not over power the meat. In fact it almost had a texas style or mesquite type profile to it. I can imagine it would be excellent with beef but, I still recommend using sparingly. All and all, I will have to do this again sometime.

Looks great Tom! I would have pulled that loin at 140 though. I'd still hit it.:thumb:

What do you consider too hot anyway?:twisted:

Looks great Tom! I would have pulled that loin at 140 though. I'd still hit it.:thumb:

What do you consider too hot anyway?:twisted:

Wanted to pull it at about 145 but, when I flipped it after 2 1/2 hours of cooking, the temp shot up quick on me so I quick scrambled to get it off. Any shade of pink on that pork would have been rejected by those eating over but, the rest and bacon helped to keep it extremely juicy.

Too hot? anything above 75 is hot for me, and that's pushing it. Last weekend it was in the low 90's. I live in the North for a reason, I like the cold! :heh:

thank you for posting your review of black walnut. i've had access to some, but shyed away because of the scary reviews, like you said. i'll give it a spin soon and post results.

Amazing looking cook Tom and nice photography. I'll have to try the black walnut chunks sometime.

Which sauce did you use?

Amazing looking cook Tom and nice photography. I'll have to try the black walnut chunks sometime.

Which sauce did you use?

Thanks! Phone takes great pics outside, the inside ones could be better though. I used Hot this time. Was going to go with No Butz but didn't want to flame out the taste of the rub or smoke on the bacon since I figured they both might be rather subtle. I'd say they were more flavorful than I thought but, it still balanced out quite nicely.

Thanks! Phone takes great pics outside, the inside ones could be better though. I used Hot this time. Was going to go with No Butz but didn't want to flame out the taste of the rub or smoke on the bacon since I figured they both might be rather subtle. I'd say they were more flavorful than I thought but, it still balanced out quite nicely.
The hot IS good. Used it on some fries for dipping the other night.:-D

Thanks for the walnut review. Been wondering about it. That loin looks great. Nice weave too!

Thanks for the walnut review. Been wondering about it. That loin looks great. Nice weave too!

Thanks! Like a bald man trying to cover it up, I believe a quality tight weave is important, I try to alternate the meatier parts of the bacon so I don't end up meat heavy on one side and so that when the bacon shrinks it is pulling tight against the meat from all directions.

Wanted to pull it at about 145 but, when I flipped it after 2 1/2 hours of cooking, the temp shot up quick on me so I quick scrambled to get it off. Any shade of pink on that pork would have been rejected by those eating over but, the rest and bacon helped to keep it extremely juicy.

Too hot? anything above 75 is hot for me, and that's pushing it. Last weekend it was in the low 90's. I live in the North for a reason, I like the cold! :heh:

Oh well, if the folks won't eat it...when'll they learn?:roll:

Above 75 is hot? Tom! Visit us in August! :twisted:

Thanks for th e review of using black walnut.:thumb:

I have a big pile of it after cutting down a tree a couple of years ago, but like others, have been scared away by the negative comments that always seemed to be posted regarding its use. I will have to try some sparingly in my new UDS.

Oh well, if the folks won't eat it...when'll they learn?:roll:

Above 75 is hot? Tom! Visit us in August! :twisted:
You buy, I'll fly, :laugh:

Thanks for th e review of using black walnut.:thumb:

I have a big pile of it after cutting down a tree a couple of years ago, but like others, have been scared away by the negative comments that always seemed to be posted regarding its use. I will have to try some sparingly in my new UDS.
It just happened to be that "any port in a storm" situation. It's still probably better used for furiniture but, different can be good.

Back