What kind of knife do you use for trimming excess fat from a brisket

I use a boning knife. I don't think it matters as long as it is sharp. The longer the better, in my opinion. Sharpness is key. Dull knives are dangerous.

If you are having control issues with you knife, I wouldn't get a longer knife. I agree with Paul. Boning knife and keep it sharp.

Pro S Boning Knife
Img324.jpg

I prefer to leave the fat on the brisket before I smoke it to make it as moist as possible so I use a small trim knife to trim off the fat that will hang off the meat.

kyle corn, pr0n warning please!
You know what I like...sigh, if TFO sees me looking she will cuff my ear..

I start with a scary sharp fillet knife for removing the membrane and lighter areas of fat. When I cut the kernal or thick nose fat, I go with a stiffer blade for most of the work, finishing up with the fillet knife.

I use a Butcher knife, a cimeter, or a boning knife, whichever happens to be sharpest.

Forschner 5" boning knife , curved , semi flexible . Its a work horse , at a good price .

I use a cimeter like the one in the link. Biggest keys are keeping it sharp as possible, and not dilly dallying about the process.

When that brisket first comes ou of the fridge the fat is nice and firm and slices easily. When it starts to warm up a bit the fat gets really soft, and almost gelatinous, and its hard for the knife edge to even catch it.

Another vote for a boning knife. Agree that sharpness is the key.

Back