Roasted Corn

jgh1204

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Here in South Texas, roasted corn is a favorite of the locals. At just about every supermarket/Walmart/Kmart, etc, there is an Elote(spanish) Trailer selling fresh roasted corn.

The favorite toppings are butter, mayo, chili powder, lemon pepper, etc.

Roasting corn is very simplistic, put the corn, unshucked, in the pit, roaster, etc. 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. If you want, you can soak the corn 15 minutes before putting into the heat.

You will need a pair of heavy gloves because that corn is HOT! Simply peel back the shucks and silk and break off at the stalk. You will find that once roasted, the silk peels back easily with the shucks. Much easier than when it is uncooked.

I like mine with butter, salt, pepper and maybe a dash of chili powder. The thought of putting mayonaise is a little sickening to me, but that is almost as popular here as butter.

The first time I had this was at the Indiana State Fair. However, I think that BigMista will add butter to corn, replace the shucks and then roast. Add a little pepper, and it is perfect.
Noah

I soak the corn prior to tossing on the grill, but other than that we use the same methods. I have done them both ways, buttering before the fire, and buttering after. Since it is less work, I prefer the butter after cooking method.

If I had the time, that would be the only way I would cook corn. Mom is from Iowa so I learned about roasted corn at a very early age.

I pull the shucks back slightly and then soak the corn in some warm water mixed with a little honey. Then straighten the shucks back out and roast them in at 300-350.

jgh1204 said:
The thought of putting mayonaise is a little sickening to me, but that is almost as popular here as butter.

I remember eating the roasted corn from the in Matamoros, Mexico and having mayo smeared on. It melts like butter and gives it a salty taste also. And you gotta have cayenne pepper on it.

I do corn in the smoker the same way you mentioned, only I put it in at 225 for an hour and half or two hours. Not saying my way is better, I just never really have much call for such a hot fire. (Even though my grease fire this weekend had the thermometer pegged.)

On the grill, no soaking, but paying close attention so as not to burn. Immediately butter and sprinkle with Tony C's

We pull husks back add bacon grease soak for 30 minutes (pull husks back up) then grill for 1 hour remove husks and add butter and salt.

Soak for at least 30 minutes. Over direct heat, roast for 30 minutes turning 1/2 way through. When I'm cooking on the 'Dera, I'll stick the ears all the way in the top for a good 3 hours or so spraying with apple juice every now and then. Either way, I finish with a chipotle butter concoction that my OL came up with. Great eating!

Not to get off the corn topic, but baked taters on the 'Dera are fantastic as well. Prick the skins, lightly oil and roll in rock salt. I usually run them 4-6 hours at least. GREAT flavor!!!

jsmoker said:
Soak for at least 30 minutes. Over direct heat, roast for 30 minutes turning 1/2 way through. When I'm cooking on the 'Dera, I'll stick the ears all the way in the top for a good 3 hours or so spraying with apple juice every now and then. Either way, I finish with a chipotle butter concoction that my OL came up with. Great eating!

Not to get off the corn topic, but baked taters on the 'Dera are fantastic as well. Prick the skins, lightly oil and roll in rock salt. I usually run them 4-6 hours at least. GREAT flavor!!!

Your potato recipie sounds like something I am going to have to try this weekend, thanks.

I learned years ago to just remove the corn from the husks, butter them up with lots of corse black pepper (or whatever the moment strikes), and wrap them one or two tightly in foil (three in foil does`nt allow the same heat exposure to the center cob). Placing them on a hot grill will carmelize the sugers in the corn, nice and golden. Some practice needed here to give it the right heat and time, and turning them once in a while. But normally it take about 20 minutes.

Doing a bunch of these at once and keeping them in the fridge takes up less room and they are ready to roll.

Your potato recipie sounds like something I am going to have to try this weekend, thanks.

No problem. I try to find those monster Idaho bakers at the store and stick them on for just about the whole time I've got the meat on. Stubled on it by accident when I was having to use a digital probe thermo in my ECB - stuck it through a tater and when I was through I just couldn't waste good food!!! :p

Give 'em a quick squeeze every now and then. They'll get nice and soft when they're done. Never overcooked one yet, but I've never left them on past about 6 hours either.... Good luck my brother!

Back