Pork Butt Ruling

Podge

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Well, I'm sure plenty of you remember over last year, the "clarification" on cooking pork butt, separated or whole, etc.. etc... From what I understood, thru the forums and a private e-mail from a BoD member, is that the BoD was to discuss this during the banquet.

So, what this in fact discussed, and what was the conclusion ?

I heard it was discussed and there was no change to the ruling. Skip should be able to be very detailed in his answer as he was there and participated in the discussion. :)

Didn't make it the rules meeting but did the board. Since the rules meeting was the day before the board meeting, Linda reported she would distribute the notes from the rules meeting to the rest of the board and discuss at the February meeting. I'm sure there was more than the pork issue discussed.

From what I've been reading rules will be the same for 2010 and any approved changes will go in for 2011. But I could be wrong. They will be discussing some rule recommendations at the Feb meeting.

From what I've been reading rules will be the same for 2010 and any approved changes will go in for 2011. But I could be wrong. They will be discussing some rule recommendations at the Feb meeting.

The discussion did come up at the rules meeting for a long time. We may change the wording of the rule for clarification. It will be voted in Feb at the BOD meeting. The discussion was to change the rules effective Jan 1, again we will vote on this at the Feb meeting holding the rules until Jan 1, 2011. Hope this helps.

The discussion did come up at the rules meeting for a long time. We may change the wording of the rule for clarification. It will be voted in Feb at the BOD meeting. The discussion was to change the rules effective Jan 1, again we will vote on this at the Feb meeting holding the rules until Jan 1, 2011. Hope this helps.

Linda, can you answer me this? Why is it OK to part and return a brisket to the cooker, but not Pork Butt?

We may change the wording of the rule for clarification.

It doesn't need clarification, it needs to be changed.
We can reheat chicken, ribs, and brisket, but not pork.
I know that someone 20 years ago cooked pork tenderloin, so now we cant reheat pork. That makes no sense to me.

-Mike

Chris, I asked the same thing. I also asked why....apparently there are certain teams taking out the money muscle when it reaches a certain temp and throw the rest back on the cooker. I stated that if they knew who the teams were to put the hammer down on them and don't allow one apple to spoil the bushel. I ended it with 'What the hell?'

It seems to me, that if a team wanted the money muscle at a certain temp and the rest cooked longer could just cook multiple buts and take the rest of the money muscle buts home and finish cooking later. The only thing is it increases the number of buts you need to cook. From my perspective, it just ads too much money to an already expensive hobby. If i was a true professional instead of a backyard guy that cooks comps, i might see the the expense as being justified. As it is, i see the rule as benefiting teams that have the extra money to cook extra buts. I really don't understand this rule, but hey, I only compete a few times a year. In my backyard i part and cook more all the time.

It really is a getting to be a keep your neighbor honest and but don't watch me kind of thing. well I think we just all need to clean up our own back yards. If we need to cook 4 butts to get what ya need so be it. I still have not seen the Vikings use 2 footballs to win a game yet.

I can slice a butt at 200*. just takes a surgically sharp knife and patience.

Who the hell wants to take a partially cooked pork butt home to cook later when you've been working your arse off for two days? It's just ridiculous that A.) you can't pull a small piece off the butt and put in a hot cooler and finish the rest of the butt and B.) we can't just make a decision that we can all live with and quit talking about parting pork once and for all. Sorry if that seems a little snippy... my hip/back pain came back last night and life in general is grinding on my nerves this morning.

A.) you can't pull a small piece off the butt and put in a hot cooler and finish the rest of the butt and B.) we can't just make a decision that we can all live with and quit talking about parting pork once and for all.

Can I hear an AMEN!!!

AMEN!!

Linda, can you answer me this? Why is it OK to part and return a brisket to the cooker, but not Pork Butt?

The pork rule was intended to make new guys like me learn how to cook a pork butt whole in the BBQ style.

I'd say that when they made the no parting pork rule, they never even remotely farking imagined that someday guys would slice their brisket and put it back in the cooker. But then they probably didn't think that someday we'd all be cooking thighs only, poached in a pan of butter. The teams used to cook BBQ back then so it was a lot different.

Whats to keep teams from parting out the money muscle to be cooked by itself while cooking an entire butt to be pulled and the money muscle sliced ?

The pork rule was intended to make new guys like me learn how to cook a pork butt whole in the BBQ style.

I'd say that when they made the no parting pork rule, they never even remotely farking imagined that someday guys would slice their brisket and put it back in the cooker. But then they probably didn't think that someday we'd all be cooking thighs only, poached in a pan of butter. The teams used to cook BBQ back then so it was a lot different.

LOL, I can assure you I am cooking BBQ. I just want to put a pan of processed Pork back in my pit until I am ready to put it in a turn in box.

If I can do that with Brisket, should be able to with Pork. This rule doesnt need to be clarified, it needs to be changed.

Back