The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

I envy you, your cookers. I personally don't think there's any one best type cooker. You have all great pits and have your choice of all those subtle flavor differences. Now you can add pellets to your arsenal, you lucky bugger.:biggrin1:

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getsum...
I would assume that a pulsating fan would produce more smoke. A constant fan would lead to less smoke as the fire would have more oxygen to burn cleaner. Unless the constant fan is running at 10% ... just my .02.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Getsum...
I would assume that a pulsating fan would produce more smoke. A constant fan would lead to less smoke as the fire would have more oxygen to burn cleaner. Unless the constant fan is running at 10% ... just my .02.

Maybe. Mak fan never stops. It runs at 60% from smoke to 245 deg. Auger feed rate and the frequency that it feeds plays a role too. A gradual but continuous feed of pellets vs a larger less frequent feed for instance has an impact on smoke.

Gotta say...I disagree with you on all pellet smokers end product being the same. My GMG never gave me anything but a very, very lite smoke flavor. I'm not saying that's bad, just what it is. On the other hand, my MAK produces tons of smoke flavor, which is my particular preference. You really do have to be aware of what cookers will produce what end product, when you're looking to purchase or you my be disappointed.

Valid point. I had a US made Traeger back in the day. Both my MAK now and my old Traeger produce(d) great food, but my MAK would’ve run circles around it as far as smoke production if I still had it.

I have had a lot of really good food coked on cheap pellet grills, just sayin

You've got some nice gear already!

Man, $1800 puts you in a pretty sweet spot... BUT, it also puts you slightly above the mid-grade pellet cookers and slightly under the high end. Now that we know a bit more about what you are after... I am just gonna tell you what I would do if in your shoes. I know there are other solid options, but personally, I think this is the best at the $1800 price point.

https://www.kumastoves.com/Store/ProductDetails/platinumSE

Why the Kuma?

1- Solid company staffed with extremely knowledgeable and EXTREMELY helpful/friendly people. Just call em', you'll see :)
2- Per your wish list, this grill gives simple access to direct flame when desired.
3- This grill has what appears to be a very high quality powder coat finish.
4- Under the powder coated finish sit aluminized steel. This is the same finish that MAK uses on their 1 Stars (which I am very familiar with). Why is this a big deal? Get a scratch or chip in the powder coat, you will not have to worry about rust. You should really never have to worry about rust on this cooker.
5- In my opinion, any grill that provides 400+ sq" of cooking space makes cooking for 20ish people an easy-peasy task. This grill provides 465 sq" on the main cooking grate, with additional grates available if needed. If I were buying this grill, I would buy 2 additional giving me close to 900 sq".
6- The controller is manufactured by Roanoke, which is a very reputable manufacturer.
7- The entire cooking chamber/lid is double wall insulated with 304 SS.
8- This is the only company that I am aware of that offers a money back guarantee if you are not 100% satisfied with the cooker. You'd have to double check, but I think you have around 45-60 days to give it a test drive.

Perhaps, after looking at this cooker you will decide it is just not the right one for YOU, and that is totally cool. The only other pellet grill that I can think of, that falls into that price range and offers a direct flame option, would be Yoder. Not that you couldn't/wouldn't be super happy with a Yoder, but for the reasons listed above, I would choose the Kuma.

Just my 2 cents :)

Great information and I had never heard of that brand until reading your post. I'll certainly do more research and possibly add this one to the list.

I’ve owned a yoder and currently own a Memphis Elite and a GMG DC. I use the GMG in the camper and it works well and produces a lot of smoke (many folks say it is the smokiest of the GMG pellet grills). I have looked at other GMG pellet grills and the construction seems the same across their lineup. Basically, it’s thin metal with ok fit and finish (door seams, etc). GMG has WiFi control with bells and whistles. Produces great food.

The Yoder is well built (except for rust issues and some grease leakage), much higher quality than any GMG, gets hotter and will grill and sear much better (with two piece diffuser and grill grates). Yoder is not a pid controller and you will have temp fluctuations from the controller. It’s how it’s designed but it produces a lot of smoke. It works great and produces great food.

The Memphis is built better than the Yoder, has higher quality fit and finish, a much tighter temp variation window, WiFi (but basic controls), better grease management, and gets quite a bit hotter for searing. Runs like a fine Swiss watch and produces great food. It is not 2 times better than the Yoder...law of diminishing returns applies here imo. It’s like comparing a Wolf range with a GE range...doubtful you could taste a difference in food between the two.

I would put Mak in the same category as Memphis on quality of build. Your price point determines your options imo...at 1800, you would be hard pressed to beat the yoder...or Mak 1 Star...but accessories and shipping will also eat into the budget.

The more I cook on different pellet cookers, the more I’m of the belief that the end product is the same (assuming same pellets used). With the exception of high heat searing......my Memphis sears as well as my kamado over lump charcoal or my lynx gasser I had. If you don’t care about good searing, your options open up a good bit more (only a few pellet grills can actually sear really well). Just depends on what you value in a cooker. Good luck!

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for all of this information as well. I emailed with someone at Smoke Daddy who said that they would have a wifi enabled controller for the Yoder grills possibly by or around spring. Unfortunately at this time the Memphis would be above my budget but from reading about them, they have alot to offer.

I have had a lot of really good food coked on cheap pellet grills, just sayin

Ahhh, c’mon Tom... you know food coming from your expensive Timberline is 4-5x better than something coming from a $300 pooper! It just has to be...lol.

Getsum...

So I have both, the GMG that "pants" and my Cookshack that just blows at 100% the whole time. Verdict: Cookshack absolutely kills the GMG in smoke flavor and production. I can cook at 400° and still get good smoke flavor, something I could never do with the GMG.

I've been thinking about what really makes one grill more effective at getting smoke flavor transferred vs another. My GMG DC does really well at getting things smoked at most cooking temps. It's also tiny. My GMG JB does a poor job at getting things smoked at anything over 170°. I'm wondering now if firepot size has something to do with it? The firepot in the JB is huge compared to the DC, maybe it just burns to efficiently? Maybe it's PID control vs. the control used by Cookshack?

I've been toying with the idea of making an arduino controller for my GMG JB that replicates the control method of Cookshack to see if that would make any difference. Might end up with something interesting. :rolleyes:

My Savannah stoker runs extremely efficiently, so much so that it reduces smoke production. I find that nice because the grill is a little more versatile. I bake cookies, chicken nuggets and fish sticks for my kids while I’m reverse searing steaks. When I cook bbq meats I just light a pellet tube with hickory pellets and get plenty of smoke flavor.

So I have both, the GMG that "pants" and my Cookshack that just blows at 100% the whole time. Verdict: Cookshack absolutely kills the GMG in smoke flavor and production. I can cook at 400° and still get good smoke flavor, something I could never do with the GMG.

I've been thinking about what really makes one grill more effective at getting smoke flavor transferred vs another. My GMG DC does really well at getting things smoked at most cooking temps. It's also tiny. My GMG JB does a poor job at getting things smoked at anything over 170°. I'm wondering now if firepot size has something to do with it? The firepot in the JB is huge compared to the DC, maybe it just burns to efficiently? Maybe it's PID control vs. the control used by Cookshack?

I've been toying with the idea of making an arduino controller for my GMG JB that replicates the control method of Cookshack to see if that would make any difference. Might end up with something interesting. :rolleyes:

That sounds interesting for sure.

I’m relatively new to pellet cooking (2 years), but owned the three I mentioned and great food can come off all of them I think. It is amazing really how different manufacturers employ different materials, designs, and controllers to try and achieve the desired results. I keep waiting for Mak to come out with their mini Mak so I can try one first hand:)

Memphis Elite

I bet the mini-mak is gonna run $999.

That’s what I am guessing, maybe even a tad more. It’s gonna sell though!
Yep. That they will. Kinda getting to that status symbol level. Well deserved and if I really needed a pellet grill it would have been on the short list (One Star).

Is this MAK mini really happening or just a rumor?

Is this MAK mini really happening or just a rumor?

I have spoken with Bob Tucker (owner of MAK) on more than one occasion about it. From everything he has said, it’s just a matter of time. I know we’ve been hearing the same thing for probably 2 years, but his tune hasn’t changed. One thing I have learned about MAK over the last few years... nothing is rushed.

First time doing duck. I smoked 3 on the Mak. I used Malcom reeds smoked duck recipe. He has a good and simple glaze for an orange sauce. I haven’t tried them yet but will let you know how they turned out!

Last edited:
Duck looks great. Most everything Malcom does turns out great imo. I use his app and recipes all the time.

Memphis Elite

I have spoken with Bob Tucker (owner of MAK) on more than one occasion about it. From everything he has said, it’s just a matter of time. I know we’ve been hearing the same thing for probably 2 years, but his tune hasn’t changed. One thing I have learned about MAK over the last few years... nothing is rushed.

I hope so. I’ll be first in line to buy one when they’ve released. Assuming it’s nice and portable for a camper.

Memphis Elite

Back