How are you cooking your bird this year?

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Ok, we are all getting ready for Thanksgiving and would love to know how you plan on cooking your Turkey this year?

I have fried many birds but going to brine and smoke mine this year, looking for some methods that have worked well for you guys.

Spatchcock, brine, air dry over night, melted butter on the skin, WSM top rack and temp as high as I can get it. 325° would be nice!

Last year I used a butter soaked cheese cloth to cover the bird which gave it a better looking skin, anyone else do this or do you like the dark smoked look.

We are doing both ~ oven and smoked. Not everyone in the family likes smoked turkey.
Try smoking it breast down for the first half, flip, and finish. Works really well IMHO.

100_0641.jpg

100_0784800x600.jpg

I also fried mine last year. This year I am going to brine and cook in the UDS. Any idea approximately how long a 15 Lb. bird might take at 325?

Good question smokeyw

Would like to hear some Temp suggestions and mins per pound estimates.
I think we all know to cook to 160 internal in the breasts but its nice to be able to time things as close as possible.

Sounds like most cook over 300 and not low and slow.

My favorite tact is thus:

1) Whole bird in the smoker ..not a ton of smoke though for those with non smokey pallets. Brined overnight in simple salt/sugar/AJ, rubbed with whichever poultry rub I'm in the mood for plus some butter to crisp the skin, cooked relatively high heat on the pellet pooper with pecan pellets You get your drums, your gravy drippings, dark meat, nice presentation.

2) Purchase a couple of whole breasts for the fryer. Inject with some cajun creole butter (yummy) rub them up with cajun spices and toss them in the oil.

Best of both worlds imho.

I also fried mine last year. This year I am going to brine and cook in the UDS. Any idea approximately how long a 15 Lb. bird might take at 325?

I did a test bird last weekend on my UDS. 14lb bird at 325 took 3 hours on the dot. At the 2 hour mark I buttered all over and it turned out great.

Attachments

• done.jpg
    done.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 147
Thanksgiving tailgate this year. One smoked turkey reheated on site and one cooked in the oil-less turkey fryer. Can't wait for T-day.

Brining it and cooking on the Weber w/rotisserie ring. Will toss on a couple of sticks of apple during the cook. :cool:

Back