Do any of you sauce your brisket?

Brian in Maine

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I just watched a video made by The Slabs BBQ team, on how to cook brisket. The video was made during a competition, and was the brisket submitted for judging. I was surprised that they not only glazed the brisket, and put it back in to let it set up, but also sauced each individual slice that they turned in.
I usually eat brisket with nothing more than some of the juice that it produces during the cook, and have never glazed it. Do you folks sauce your brisket? And if you do, do you sauce it just for competitions or at home too?
PS I'm not looking for secrets, just curious.

I think they do in the non-bbq brisket areas of the country. Areas not known for good brisket, areas say 15 years ago didn't even have brisket in their competitions, or areas that had no bbq competitions at all 10 years ago, areas that allow grilling and BBQ to be in the same event, or areas that are governed by bodies that allow sauce of glazes on their bbq for turn ins, areas that use garnish in their turn ins, areas where they allow chicken salad as a turn in for chicken. Pretty much everywhere but Texas. Your in excellent company! ;-)

But then again, your not competing in Texas.
Sauce it up! Hey, why not pour maple syrup all over it?

Here's a Test (Which of these words does not fit with the others.)

a. blues
b. brisket
c. pulled pork
d. mustard
e. funk
f. Harpoon
g. Butcher paper

We glaze our slices with a really thin sauce for comps. It keeps the meat from drying out and is a good vehicle to add some extra flavor. At home, I usually don't sauce the slices until they get in the sandwich.

I really don't eat much sauce at all, except on a sandwich and I thin it out with the drippings from resting. Even when making burnt ends, I make a couple of pans with reduced sauce, and one pan of traditional dry ones.

DSC01726a.jpg

I do have it on hand though. Most folks like sauce and I will not stand in the way of them enjoying my food any way they want to. I buy about 3 gallons a year from Rudy's. In my eye, it's good enough to serve as is, or thinned with some drippings. And, it's just different enough for the folks around here that they usually like it.​

EDIT - I do like the Blues Hog "Red" on PBE's. Pork burnt ends.​

DSC04645a.jpg

I think they do in the non-bbq brisket areas of the country. Areas not known for good brisket, areas say 15 years ago didn't even have brisket in their competitions, or areas that had no bbq competitions at all 10 years ago, areas that allow grilling and BBQ to be in the same event, or areas that are governed by bodies that allow sauce of glazes on their bbq for turn ins, areas that use garnish in their turn ins, areas where they allow chicken salad as a turn in for chicken. Pretty much everywhere but Texas. Your in excellent company! ;-)

But then again, your not competing in Texas.
Sauce it up! Hey, why not pour maple syrup all over it?

Here's a Test (Which of these words does not fit with the others.)

a. blues
b. brisket
c. pulled pork
d. mustard
e. funk
f. Harpoon
g. Butcher paper

I believe they are out of the KC area.

On the "Pop" quiz I say mustard does not fit. I have never glazed a brisket but I do use the drippings and a little sauce to moisten the slices. Primarily the drippings though. Right or wrong, I get those drippings from wrapping in foil. Hey, it works for me.

I know the IBCA does not allow sauce once the meat has been sliced.

[FONT=&quot]Meats may be cooked with sauces and/or other liquids, but once the cooking is complete, sauces
and/or liquids cannot be added. NO PUDDLING IN BOTTOM OF TRAY.[/FONT]

I use just a dry rub while the meat is on the smoker. I do however, serve a dippin' sauce on the side. Seems that about half of my guest dip. Both the rub and sauce are my own homemade concoctions.

nope. i used to spray with apple juice but now see that that really doesn't do anything.

We put a glaze on the outside but not on each slice. We should coat it pretty well, cause it is after all a sauce contests.:rolleyes::wink:

I agree that a well cooked brisket needs nothing more than salt and pepper but if everybody cooked their brisket exactly the same it now comes down to sauce.

That is true...now get ready for the arguement about cooking skills and .......

We do not use BBQ sauce at a competition. We do add our own liquids and dip in that but not BBQ sauce.

Quiz question...Potato Salad.

We put a glaze on the outside but not on each slice. We should coat it pretty well, cause it is after all a sauce contests.:rolleyes::wink:

I agree that a well cooked brisket needs nothing more than salt and pepper but if everybody cooked their brisket exactly the same it now comes down to sauce.

This is a sage response!:cool:

On the "Pop" quiz I say mustard does not fit. I have never glazed a brisket but I do use the drippings and a little sauce to moisten the slices. Primarily the drippings though. Right or wrong, I get those drippings from wrapping in foil. Hey, it works for me.

WRONG.... ! LOL

Mustard is not only in an entire region's base for sauce but used in some guys slathers (please post fark picture) and in a lot of red sauces too.

Harpoon is the answer - Harpoon has nothing at all to do with BBQ:-D

You are obviously unaware of the Harpoon Championship of New England BBQ contest going on at the Harpoon brewery in Vt. this weekend.:-D

LOL Like I said... the Harpoon has nothing at all to do with BBQ of any kind.

Back