Assassin 48 grill

UMICH1

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I’ve been reading your forum for some time and decided to join. Lot of great info. Anyways, I’m a backyard griller/smoker and learned on a barrel grill. I’ve produced some good ribs, chicken, and porkbutts. Never tried a brisket but going to soon.

I want to get a new grill and the Assassin looks amazing. Couple questions for people who own. His new model has the stack on the right. If I use the v bar and snake method with the charcoal, it would seem most of the smoke would go the right and meat placement would be best to the right. Now if I load the grill up to smoke, would it be better to have another stack on the left or am I overthinking this? I know I’m going to get smoke throughout with just the stack on right but was just curious what you all thought. With the water pan, I’m not sure if makes much difference but maybe it does. Thanks.

Bill

Last edited:
when I buy one again someday I would put a stack on each end and my last one it was in the middle . I never used the water pan but with two stacks when smoking you could close the right one off and vent out the left so the heat would go down the V-Pan and back across the meat . kind of like a reverse flow but is not sealed off completely .

You can reverse the V-pan (from the start or any time during the cook). On my older 36", you can use the water pan or the V-pan, not both. I've never used the water pan.

You can reverse the V-pan (from the start or any time during the cook). On my older 36", you can use the water pan or the V-pan, not both. I've never used the water pan.

Yah I was thinking of doing this t if I’m cooking a couple pork butts or brisket. I was concerned with the grill filled up, if having 2 stacks would be better to direct the smoke more evenly when using the v pan.

when I buy one again someday I would put a stack on each end and my last one it was in the middle . I never used the water pan but with two stacks when smoking you could close the right one off and vent out the left so the heat would go down the V-Pan and back across the meat . kind of like a reverse flow but is not sealed off completely .

Yah I’m thinking with grill filled up that would make sense.

I will say that it is easier to maintain 250 than it is 225. Just create a charcoal snake. The thinner the snake the lower the temperature.

I will also say that the Assassin Grill is a Grill first and foremost that also works as a smoker.

I have two stacks on mine: left and right, and I highly recommend that configuration for controlling airflow for both grilling and smoking.

Back