question for the experienced smoker

mykeystoy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have used my uds dozens of times since my late spring build in 2010 and am improving each time. My question is why is it that I never really get a good bark on the butts? It just doesn't seem right without it.:confused:

Mike

Can we get more information about your current process and cooking technique? Preparation, rub, temperatures etc...all will help.

I smoke on an offset, so I probably won't be of much help, but you may want to add some info such as what type rub are you using, do you slather with mustard, what temp are you cooking at, do you foil, what IT are you cooking to, etc....then some of the uds fellers can help you out.

Sorry I am not too much on the food pron unless I feel it looks absolutely deliteful. No marinade or wet stuff all dry rub usually applied the day b4. My uds seems to like cooking between 225 and 240 once it settles in and that includes december during our little cold snap. I don't think fat side up or down makes much difference I have done both but prefer fat down for easier picking when done. I do have have a tendency to just use the lump rather than adding additional wood chunk which I haven't quite figured out where it works best yet and have used the drum several times a month till the end of november. oops forgot to add I dont foil unless it is I doin ribs.. the down side is that wifey likes country style more than real ribs, so I dont get to do those very often.

Mike

I have found that if I rub and then let the meat sit for a while, bark can suffer. It does offer a distinct taste though. So, if I am going to let the meat sit with rub overnight, I figure on adding a second layer of rub just before putting on the smoker. This actually allows for an excellent bark development because the rub forms a sticky surface that holds the second layer of rub in place.

You can slather, I don't and I feel my bark is fine. Some folks believe a mustard slather, or other liquid, I like Worcestershire when I do slather-ish a butt or brisket, will allow for more adhesion of rub and more bark.

One of the reasons a picture would help would be to determine what you are getting and what you would like. It can vary as some folks really don't like a lot of bark, but, they don't know that.

Here is a chuck roast with what I would call a moderate bark...
chuckiepullin.jpg

Yeah, personally I've never understood the idea of rubbing the night before. Can't say it helps one way or the other. I've done, but don't any more. I guess the theory is that this somehow "marinates" the roast, but I don't see how there's much (if any) penetration into the meat.

I'd say that may have something to do with it. If you really want to do that, try and reapply rub just before and see if that makes a difference.

You said you don't foil, so that shouldn't be it either. IMO, more time in the foil = less smoke= less bark. Could be wrong.

i'm for sure no expert, but, i would imagine that if rubbing the night before created soft bark, more people would be having this issue.

i also would suggest that while the rubs adds flavor to the bark, the bark itself is mainly nicely charred meat, thus adding or subtracting sugar wouldn't necessarily solve the issue.

do you stuff the UDS with meat?
use a water pan?
cook the butt till the bone slides out?

i rub and put on cooker for everything(except a brisket i just tried using donnie's process)

I have used my uds dozens of times since my late spring build in 2010 and am improving each time. My question is why is it that I never really get a good bark on the butts? It just doesn't seem right without it.:confused:

Mike

Sorry I am not too much on the food pron unless I feel it looks absolutely deliteful. No marinade or wet stuff all dry rub usually applied the day b4. My uds seems to like cooking between 225 and 240 once it settles in and that includes december during our little cold snap. I don't think fat side up or down makes much difference I have done both but prefer fat down for easier picking when done. I do have have a tendency to just use the lump rather than adding additional wood chunk which I haven't quite figured out where it works best yet and have used the drum several times a month till the end of november. oops forgot to add I dont foil unless it is I doin ribs.. the down side is that wifey likes country style more than real ribs, so I dont get to do those very often.

Mike

Here's my questions before I give an opinion...

Did you cook on something before the UDS? If you did, what was it and did you get a good bark?

Where is the 225 temp being taken on the UDS?

What's "good" bark look like to you?

What's in your rub?

Not enough rub on at the time of putting on. When put on ahead like that, the salt lets things sink in more. Add some more before going on and you should be fine.Good luck. Steve.

Not enough rub on at the time of putting on. When put on ahead like that, the salt lets things sink in more. Add some more before going on and you should be fine.Good luck. Steve.
I love it when a vague question like "why don't I like my bark" can result in so many various, and sometimes conflicting answers!:laugh:

I have cooked plain butts (no seasoning at all) and simple ones with just salt and pepper, and both kinds had excellent bark. So I don't think rub is all of the magic in a bark (but it does some things, particularly the salt and sugar).

So, I can see both sides here...either it wasn't seasoned properly, as in too much powdery gunk and not enough salt and/or sugar that interacts with the meat, or maybe too much was caked on preventing the meat itself from being able to form a crust. Or both.

OK, back to your regular programming I suppose. I think only the OP will be able to answer his question, but only after being able to sift through all these responses.:laugh:

I have cooked plain butts (no seasoning at all) and simple ones with just salt and pepper, and both kinds had excellent bark.

Not an expert here but when I read the first post I was thinking you'd probably also get a bark when you don't use rub,slather or both.
No problems getting a bark on this side of The Pond.

IMG_0006-4.jpg

IMG_0007-4.jpg

I think the answer to your problem may lie in more then one step within your process. One issue that has not been discussed is that fact that you start with the fat side down and do not turn. I find it very important to turn the meat on my BDS. If only the fat side is directly exposed to the heat source you may not be giving the other side of the meat enought direct heat to form a good bark. I know that many non-drum smokers do not rely on direct exposure to the heat to form a great bark but drum smokers are a different animal. Weather or not this has anything to do with your bark I don't know but I still would suggest turning your meat when using a drum smoker.

I love it when a vague question like "why don't I like my bark" can result in so many various, and sometimes conflicting answers!:laugh:

I have cooked plain butts (no seasoning at all) and simple ones with just salt and pepper, and both kinds had excellent bark. So I don't think rub is all of the magic in a bark (but it does some things, particularly the salt and sugar).

So, I can see both sides here...either it wasn't seasoned properly, as in too much powdery gunk and not enough salt and/or sugar that interacts with the meat, or maybe too much was caked on preventing the meat itself from being able to form a crust. Or both.

OK, back to your regular programming I suppose. I think only the OP will be able to answer his question, but only after being able to sift through all these responses.:laugh:

You know, to some of us, this is a very serious subject, and we approach the cook as a religious ritual. As such, your humor is innapropriate.

Now, as long as we're telling secrets, part of my technique begins with a chant... and it grows stronger, as I progress into the ceremony of the cook... finally bursting into song:

"I told the Witch Doctor I was in love with you...."

</end secret ceremony>

Seriously though. How often are you removing the lid to grab a look?

Don't! If you're lookin.....you ain't cookin.

f2.jpg

f4.jpg

I opened the cooker 3 times on this cook. It went 13.5 hours, and I pulled @ 204 degrees.

Every time you remove the lid, you set yourself back at least 10-20 min.

Back