Need Some Comments on My Grid Lifter Tool

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
For the last year or so I have making these stainless steel lifter/hanger gadgets in my spare time. It's like having a third hand when it comes to removing my dirty grate and filling the Egg with charcoal. Being able to hang the grate on my shelf or deck railing etc. is an added bonus.

DSC03687a.jpg

I decided up front to randomly give away 25 for field testing and #25 went out this week. I've been getting more requests for them and the design has not changed. So now I'm exploring some options that will allow me to increase the number I have on hand.

I know we have shared a bunch of info in the numerous "mod" threads and also in that UDS thread, so I was hoping for any feedback from folks that have not seen one of these and any additional feedback from the folks using them now, especially if it is a change for the better. (Three folks suggested adding a bottle opener, but I haven't got the bugs worked out on that one yet. LOL One Egger uses it to burp his Egg, and in a pinch it works for removing the lid from a Dutch oven).

Thanks

That looks real handy. I'm sure it could be used on other grills and smokers with no modifications.

Man, I wish I knew you were doing that! I could use one of those! It looks really handy, but I don't have any wings on my egg.

The stainless steel looks like it will last a long time.

Do you use it while you're cooking, or just when the grill's empty?

Does it need to be positioned nearer the center of the grill, or can it grip a loaded grate closer to the edges without all the meat sliding off?

Do you use it while you're cooking, or just when the grill's empty?

Does it need to be positioned nearer the center of the grill, or can it grip a loaded grate closer to the edges without all the meat sliding off?

The reason I reversed the handle was so I could have more control of the cooking grid, either empty or loaded. I use it during cooking to lift the grid & food when adding a extension ring or taking the ring out and lowering the grid to the regular position on the fire ring.

I also use it to spin the grid during cooking to even things out. You just have to be careful to leave room for the tool.

On a regular grid, I usually slip the lifter into the second or third slot, but the closer to the center would give you more control. On a Cast Iron grid you have to go closer to the center. Those boys are really heavy.

DSC03698a.jpg

I'd pull the pics and get a patent first. Looks like a real winner.

Thirdeye's lifter works like a charm. Way better than the one BGE sells. Simple but functional. Like Jorge said, get a patent. Even a poor mans patent might work in a pinch. Whit down the details and take a pic of it. Mail it to yourself certified and don't open it. (At least I heard this worked).

That looks like a great tool. Just wondering if the steel gets hot if its hooked to a hot grate for a while? Maybe adding some sort of rubber handle around the steel would help if it gets hot.

The thirdeye grate lifter is my MOST USED Q'n TOOL! I use it on all my cookers and wish I had a couple more! Perfectly balanced, you can lift a grate of food with one hand effortlessly. It's high enough that you can use it without gloves and not get burnt!
Take it to the next level Wayne! I love it!!

Brian

That looks like a great tool. Just wondering if the steel gets hot if its hooked to a hot grate for a while? Maybe adding some sort of rubber handle around the steel would help if it gets hot.

555144eb.jpg

Hmmmm....I've never measured heat transfer. Most of the year, that's not usually a problem around my house. :mrgreen: Seriously, I had not thought about using rubber.

Me and the BBQ Sheriff sez we gotta get onna those.

I'd pull the pics and get a patent first. Looks like a real winner.

Backlog in the patent offic is unbelievable.

I know someone that has been pursuing a patent for something, and when I spoke to him recently askked if he got it yet. Answeer, it is supposed to be issued any day now ... and this after 4 years from he first submission. And he's into this (the application) for over $10K.

That looks a lot better than the grate lifter that came with my chargriller. Might want to add the spring handle though just in case things get hot....just my 2 cents:biggrin:

Backlog in the patent offic is unbelievable.

I know someone that has been pursuing a patent for something, and when I spoke to him recently askked if he got it yet. Answeer, it is supposed to be issued any day now ... and this after 4 years from he first submission. And he's into this (the application) for over $10K.

Note to self: Consider pricing @ $900 per unit, $1700 for two. This could pay for a patent, a Hummer and have some beer money left over.

Check that.....all I wanted in the first place was some beer money :mrgreen:

That looks a lot better than the grate lifter that came with my chargriller. Might want to add the spring handle though just in case things get hot....just my 2 cents:biggrin:

Those spring handles (in stainless) are pricy. They do weld up real purdy though. The bad news is, they could double the cost of the tool. I've been trying to source them in bulk. A couple of guys that are woodworkers have made custom handles for theirs.

DSC03110.jpg

I was checking out your grate lifter at Swamprb's place a few weeks ago. I like it a lot. Let me know when you have some available and where to purchase it. Great piece of grill gear. :biggrin:

The reason I reversed the handle was so I could have more control of the cooking grid, either empty or loaded. I use it during cooking to lift the grid & food when adding a extension ring or taking the ring out and lowering the grid to the regular position on the fire ring.

I also use it to spin the grid during cooking to even things out. You just have to be careful to leave room for the tool.

On a regular grid, I usually slip the lifter into the second or third slot, but the closer to the center would give you more control. On a Cast Iron grid you have to go closer to the center. Those boys are really heavy.

DSC03698a.jpg

What is the size of the heavy cast iron grate? Would it fit on a 22 in weber is what I really wont to know,thanks.
Dave

This is what I had been using on my Kamado and Big Green Egg for lifting the grate and it was a PITA to use and I went with Weber grates with handles because it was so inconvenient.
100_1713.jpg

100_1712.jpg

Thirdeyes grate lifter allows me to use the full grates, and though I've not had a Flashback with the Egg yet, it now is more usefull to me. I did put a peice of shrink tube on the handle in case it got hot but it was not neccesary. Put me down for another one!

Brian

Back