BBQ guru vs pitmaster IQ

i have a DigiQ, a DigiQ WiFI and the Stoker black...
I use the DigiQ 2 most of the times, rain or snow, never had a single issue..

Also, get your UDS up to temp by opening your intakes until you get about 10 degrees or so from your target temp, then turn the IQ110 on. No need to light 5 coals and then have your IQ110 (or any other temp controller) struggle bring it up to 250 degrees. Im not so sure that is what they are made for.

I agree completely. No matter what temp controller you use, you need to figure out your optimum number of lit coals. Don't make your temp controller work any harder than it needs to.

CD

The last time somebody asked about both products and I said something myself and a couple of others got blasted pretty hard. So I will try to be helpful with MY experiences.

Saying that I had the IQ110 and I had issues with temps. There are many many people that swear by theirs but I could never get it to work with my BSK and my WSM.

I bought the PartyQ earlier in the year and hooked it up and it worked so well for ME that I ordered another one this past Monday. The PartyQ is battery operated which is a plus and a minus. Takes 4 AA batteries every long cook but if power goes out or anything it works without issue, so it is nice to take camping or whatever. To ME the customer service for the Guru is top notch.

There are a few things where I think the IQ110 may be better. Such as it seems to be thicker/heavier plastic and possibly better built. I am always afraid of someone tripping on my PartyQ because as one entire unit it is hooked up at the bottom vent and could be tripped on easy if someone isnt paying attention.

I know that the question was the Guru in general but comparing like products the PartyQ and IQ110 and Auber is a better comparison. I have never had an Auber but I also know of people that swear by it.

But if I had it to do all over again(and I did) I would go with the PartyQ. It meets my needs better.

I'm in the same boat as Fat Freddy. I'm not going to get into the gory details, but I will say that I had a terrible experience with the iQue. I bought one back when I still had a 22.5" WSM and it never performed correctly on multiple cooks. That combined with the worst customer service I've ever experienced from an online retailer pretty much sealed the deal. In other words, I bought a Chevy when I should have just paid a premium for a Honda (BBQ Guru).

I've had my IQ 4 a 11/2 years and hav,nt had a problem also works in the winter. And has a 5-15 cfm var. spd fan. LUV my IQ.:-D

Thanks for all the answers above and will be keeping tabs on this. Looking at some of the units mentioned to put on a UDS. I don't mind tending, but also would like to get some sleep on those over night cooks. Miss a lot of the party or picnic the next day.

Would the ones haveing problems with the IQ-110 mind detailing the issues you experienced?

I bought one and it worked perfectly on the first cook. Subsequent 2 cooks it seems to run 10F-15F low on my UDS (compared to my Maverick 732) with the 2 probes located within an inch or so of each other (setpoint at 275F and later moved to 285F trying to compensate for running low temps). Also, the temp swings are about 10F......not a big deal if they are runiing 5F above and below your setpoint but if it's swinging down to 20F below setpoint......why even have one as the temps on a UDS are this stable without one?

I haven't done enough cooks with it to determine if this is totally the 110s fault so I've not yet drawn a conclusion. I'll experiment more but I hoped it would do better. That it performed so well on my first cook makes me wonder if I've done something wrong.

I have the IQ110 as well. Got it a few months ago and have not had any issues with it. I have it on my WSM and never have to mess with anything during cooks.

I don't know much about the partyQ... But now I'm interested! :-D

http://www.bbqequipmentstore.com/PartyQ-No-Adaptor-Party-Q.htm

For a UDS, they have a 3/4" adapter that will screw into the standard ball valve. I was concerned about kicking it with my foot since it sticks out from the ball valve. I have my UDS sitting on three concrete blocks, so I just slid the one under the PartyQ out a little more to keep my big clumsy feet away from it.

I have a ET-732 & I place the PartyQ probe right under the 732 pit probe. That way I can do other things & know that my temps are right where I want them to be.

In the beginning, we had a couple of early adopters that purchased our temp controller and didn't like its performance. Our return policy clearly stated that we can't accept used controllers as we can't resell them. We're not Walmart. So, these two (and only two, and this was about 18 months ago) asked to return their units. I stuck by the stated policy and resisted. I still regret this decision as these two individuals still like to share their experience. (This is a good time to point out that it is essential to know how to control your cooker without a temperature controller, because if you don't, you will not be satisfied with the results while using a temperature controller because they are not magic. Not saying that this is the reason for the returns, but it is important.) Anyway, I quickly realized my wrong and refunded these two individuals 100% of their purchase price, less shipping, despite my stated policy. Both individuals returned their units to me and they tested fine. In fact, I used one of them all last year on my WSM chicken cooker in KCBS comps, up until the new version with the adjustable damper went into testing. Did I mention that both were refunded 100%?

Thanks to these two individuals, our customer service is now much better. So, I thank them. In fact, I think that both would like the new version, and I think that between the adjustable damper and revised software, both would be satisfied with the performance. Try our customer service; give Matt or Barb (or me) a call at 636-447-7974 and talk to us before placing your order.

We have many IQs in the market. Since Alton Brown of Good Eats fell in love with the IQ and featured it in his "grand finale" segment of his one hour BBQ special, "Right On Q", we have had many sales. We have never charged a customer for a repair, even if it was out of the warranty period, and we have never refused a return request since we were taught our lesson. I'm not saying that we never will, but we have managed to be able to give our customers this level of service because our products have been that reliable.

On to air flow: The blower in the IQ is rated over 15 CFM (present blower rated 18.2 CFM @ 16.9 mmH2O). We use a large blower so that, using variable speed control of the blower, we can control a range of pits from small to large. Older IQ software versions were very conservative with airflow, being afraid to blow too hard into a small cooker. Newer versions are smarter, and more aggressive without over-powering small cookers. The newest version, available by special request, can be configured to blow at maximum airflow anytime combustion air is required. This version was designed for our own Rebel 28 gravity feed cooker (www.rebelsmokers.com; used by pitmasterIQ BBQ), and others like it.

For those of you wondering, I have permission by the webmasters of the BBQ Brethren to provide this type of support to The Brethren. In fact, they too are my customers.

In the beginning, we had a couple of early adopters that purchased our temp controller and didn't like its performance. Our return policy clearly stated that we can't accept used controllers as we can't resell them. We're not Walmart. So, these two (and only two, and this was about 18 months ago) asked to return their units. I stuck by the stated policy and resisted. I still regret this decision as these two individuals still like to share their experience. (This is a good time to point out that it is essential to know how to control your cooker without a temperature controller, because if you don't, you will not be satisfied with the results while using a temperature controller because they are not magic. Not saying that this is the reason for the returns, but it is important.) Anyway, I quickly realized my wrong and refunded these two individuals 100% of their purchase price, less shipping, despite my stated policy. Both individuals returned their units to me and they tested fine. In fact, I used one of them all last year on my WSM chicken cooker in KCBS comps, up until the new version with the adjustable damper went into testing. Did I mention that both were refunded 100%?

Thanks to these two individuals, our customer service is now much better. So, I thank them. In fact, I think that both would like the new version, and I think that between the adjustable damper and revised software, both would be satisfied with the performance. Try our customer service; give Matt or Barb (or me) a call at 636-447-7974 and talk to us before placing your order.

We have many IQs in the market. Since Alton Brown of Good Eats fell in love with the IQ and featured it in his "grand finale" segment of his one hour BBQ special, "Right On Q", we have had many sales. We have never charged a customer for a repair, even if it was out of the warranty period, and we have never refused a return request since we were taught our lesson. I'm not saying that we never will, but we have managed to be able to give our customers this level of service because our products have been that reliable.

On to air flow: The blower in the IQ is rated over 15 CFM (present blower rated 18.2 CFM @ 16.9 mmH2O). We use a large blower so that, using variable speed control of the blower, we can control a range of pits from small to large. Older IQ software versions were very conservative with airflow, being afraid to blow too hard into a small cooker. Newer versions are smarter, and more aggressive without over-powering small cookers. The newest version, available by special request, can be configured to blow at maximum airflow anytime combustion air is required. This version was designed for our own Rebel 28 gravity feed cooker (www.rebelsmokers.com; used by pitmasterIQ BBQ), and others like it.

For those of you wondering, I have permission by the webmasters of the BBQ Brethren to provide this type of support to The Brethren. In fact, they too are my customers.

Thanks for chiming in. Good to hear from the horses mouth.:thumb:

John,
Since you have chimed in I have a Rebel 23 and bought a Pitmaster IQ from Brian when I got my smoker. I have used it a lot and had good luck. Recently I have had an issue with it going into error mode and the fan stops blowing and my temps fall. It has caused me to be late on my last 2 cooks. I just don't have the confidence in it I did early on. I have been planning on getting a different controller. As I stated it worked great early on and I have given advice on here to buy the IQ. I have used mine a lot. I got it in February and am not asking to return it. I am just asking if you may know why it won't come out of error mode? Just looking for advice here so I can continue using my pit fan. I though the unit was over heating so I made a sun block for it but that hasn't seemed to help. Thank in advance for any advice.

John,
Since you have chimed in I have a Rebel 23 and bought a Pitmaster IQ from Brian when I got my smoker. I have used it a lot and had good luck. Recently I have had an issue with it going into error mode and the fan stops blowing and my temps fall. It has caused me to be late on my last 2 cooks. I just don't have the confidence in it I did early on. I have been planning on getting a different controller. As I stated it worked great early on and I have given advice on here to buy the IQ. I have used mine a lot. I got it in February and am not asking to return it. I am just asking if you may know why it won't come out of error mode? Just looking for advice here so I can continue using my pit fan. I though the unit was over heating so I made a sun block for it but that hasn't seemed to help. Thank in advance for any advice.

Hey rwyatt,
I don't want to jack this thread with pitmasterIQ customer service. It's not fair to the Brethren. I'll start a new thread called "IQ110 Error Mode". BUT, sounds like an intermittent probe to me. Look for the new thread....

I have a Digi Q with the 10cfm fan on my Egg. A plus for the Digi Q is the "open lid detect" feature. When the Digi Q senses a sudden, dramatic drop in pit temp, it "knows" the smoker has been opened and waits half a minute or so before reacting to the temperature drop. This is particularly on ceramic cookers because the mass of hot ceramic will heat up the air in a very short time without stoking the fire more. The function can be turned off if your smoker does not retain heat well and the blower will start huffing and puffing immediately.

You might also want to check the Auber controller though, like the Guru, the fan is mounted directly to the cooker via an adaptor.

Back