Struggling to get above 300 for Turkey

S

sammyman

I keep adding hot coals, but my wsm is hovering at 305 or so. Am I screwed? I read 325 - 350 is best.

Also, it is pretty brown after an hour. Does using cheesecloth make the skin soggy?

How are you screwed? Will it not be done in time? If you need to take the turkey off the WSM and use your oven. This will also help in crisping the skin.

Also, I just checked and the drippings look burned. I had a foil pan on the second shelf and they are black! I still see good juices inside the turkey, so I should have something.

How are you screwed? Will it not be done in time? If you need to take the turkey off the WSM and use your oven. This will also help in crisping the skin.

I just thought 325-350 is good. I don't want to dry it out by cooking it too long.

Another question I had is does wrapping it in foil and putting it in a cooler for an hour make the skin soggy?

Do you have a fan/hair dryer/leaf blower? Any one of those can help get the temps up quickly. Also, I believe you can crack the door open to allow in more air and thus raise the temp more.

Yes putting it in the cooler will make the skin soggy. There is a lot of moisture in the cooler. If you want to try and crisp the skin, put it in the oven for about 10 minutes and see if that gives you the skin you want.

Then how do you let it rest and keep the skin nice and crisp?

Just tent with foil and rest. Is the turkey going to be done that early?

I think the turkey will be done at 2pm, and we are eating at 5pm. This is the first time I have done a turkey so thanks for the help.

Maybe I should let it rest for 1 hour in a cooler, then crisp it for 10 min in the oven, then cut it, then reheat for 20 min before 5? Thoughts?

I would leave it in the cooler until 4:15, crisp in oven, and let rest, then slice. If you slice too early it will dry out.

I would leave it in the cooler until 4:15, crisp in oven, and let rest, then slice. If you slice too early it will dry out.

Thanks so much for the help. I am going to do just that. When crisping, should the oven be at 350? How long would you crisp it for?

I just read in another thread that one guy used a weed burner to crisp his turkey.

That's crazy! I actually may have one of those.

Just to be clear you know he means one of these...
469c6f8a-b620-2e4c.jpg

Not one of these right?
469c6f8a-b638-6f3f.jpg

;)

Actually what I have looks more like this:

632559_front200.jpg

May be a no go.

Hmmm that would probably work but I would make sure you have propane and not MAPP gas. MAPP smells kinda funky. Don't know if it would affect the taste or not, but its also alot hotter.

Back