Rockin' my 1st packer on the WSM

MarleyMan

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Well finally got my KCBS membership and put that Restaurant Depot day pass to good use and got a full packer (which is hard to come by in Central Ohio for some reason at local grocers).

Even large flats are a chore to find, and the last one I bought was $5.29 a lb at Giant Eagle!!! :shock:

Me likey the $2.04 a lb. price at the depot :grin:

Put it on at 11 EST and what a nice evening for an overnighter, cool and calm. Will update as we progress.

First packer on the WSM, suprisingly it fit at 15.66 lbs with rolling the ends in about an inch

Threw in 2 chunks of pecan, 2 wild cherry and 1 hickory.
Here we go...

BRISKET2011A.jpg

BRISKET2011B.jpg

BRISKET2011C.jpg

That's a beautiful hunk of brisket right there. I can smell it cooking all the way in Iowa.
Oh wait.... maybe that's mine :grin:. Be sure to share some finished pics!

Looks like you got a good start, I hope you enjoyed the overnight, and good luck on your cook. Is that Montreal Steak Seasoning or some other concoction, it looks great.

I agree, that is a good looking brisket. Starting with good meat is the first step to success!!!

You had me at Tito's vodka, the brisket doesn't look half bad either.

ML

Looks good so far! Have fun with the cook!

Love the Tito's Brisket ain't bad either. need to see some finished PR0N

Here she is after 12 hrs at 159F, just woke up...me and Tito hung out for awhile last night.:becky:

BRISKET2011d.jpg

I rubbed it down with a mix of Montreal Steak 1st and then hit it with my homemade rub. Smells great not looking bad either :clap2:

That is a really nice looking hunk of meat there. I bet it's gonna taste better than it looks! :clap2:

Well Bretheren here are the money shots...tried to get a nice macro shot on the Burnt Ends, but I guess the photographer had one too many barley pops :-D

Everyone said it was great and I concur..

BRISKET2011e.jpg

BRISKET2011f.jpg

BRISKET2011g.jpg

Man, that is some good looking BBQ, congrats, bro! :hungry:

So, you join the KCBS and get a day trip to RD? Really? Sign me up.
Brisket looks great, really nice looking piece of meat, but I gotta wonder how you handmake Vodka.

Man that grub looks good brother, like the burnt ends if you like Tito's you'll love dripping springs vodka :biggrin1:

So, you join the KCBS and get a day trip to RD? Really? Sign me up.
Brisket looks great, really nice looking piece of meat, but I gotta wonder how you handmake Vodka.

Yup...most of them will let you in on a day pass anyway, at least the one in Columbus. I could have just walked in, but they need a number when you checkout. I stood at the counter for 5 minutes and explained the KCBS day pass ( showed my membership card and the print out for the site). The guy just ended up signing us a guest pass without using the KCBS code.

The $35.00 membership paid for itself on the 1 brisket alone....:clap2:

I'm serious, bro. That brisket looks better than most brisket I get at KCBS comps here in VA. Nice job!

I'm serious, bro. That brisket looks better than most brisket I get at KCBS comps here in VA. Nice job!

Wow..thanks. Just a backyarder for the past few years.

I plan to do my first comp in October in Nelsonville, OH--I appreciate the comment.

Wow..thanks. Just a backyarder for the past few years.

I plan to do my first comp in October in Nelsonville, OH--I appreciate the comment.

Just remember, turn in ONLY your best meat. There is no need for burnt ends if they are mushy or fatty. Turn in only your best meat and forget the variety if it doesn't measure up and you will do fine.

Most KCBS judges that I have sat around judging tables with have no idea what a real burnt end is anyway. Turn in the best looking, best textured, and best flavored meat and forget the rest.

Back