Pre Christmas Clod (pics)

Smoke on Badger Mountain

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey Brethren,

So I was at Costco last week and saw this and could not resist.

IMG_4604.jpg

IMG_4605.jpg

Ok, so the next pics will be right side up.

This morning my wife asked me when I was going to have time to cook it. And suddenly I realized that today and tomorrow are my last days off that I will be at home until after New Years. And so, the fire is lit!

Fantastic! I did my first clod last year and loved it. Lots of folks cook them up to a high IT like a brisket but I did mine more like a roast to a MR temp withe very good results.

What's great about clods is you can get really bold with the seasoning since it's a big ole beefy cut. I used onion soup mix as part of the rub - great stuff!

Looking forward to seeing the results and glad to see those are showing up at Costco - time to go look!

Looking forward to watching this one - which cooker you using today

24x48 Offset. That one has a bottom plate pf 1/2" steel that extends into the fire box and will keep a steady temp in my 30* weather today.

Fantastic! I did my first clod last year and loved it. Lots of folks cook them up to a high IT like a brisket but I did mine more like a roast to a MR temp withe very good results.

What's great about clods is you can get really bold with the seasoning since it's a big ole beefy cut. I used onion soup mix as part of the rub - great stuff!

Looking forward to seeing the results and glad to see those are showing up at Costco - time to go look!

The Costco in Visalia has them from time to time. I buy them when I see them. My brother manages a Costco in the S.F. Bay area and he said that his market area never carries them. Too bad for them.

I like to cook my clods like a brisket with some simple S&P. But your method sounds like it would be fun to try. Maybe the next one!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
24x48 Offset. That one has a bottom plate pf 1/2" steel that extends into the fire box and will keep a steady temp in my 30* weather today.

You got me there - so is the bottom plate a baffle plate/standard offset or a solid plate/reverse flow

its on!

12:00 Pacific and Shes on!

You got me there - so is the bottom plate a baffle plate/standard offset or a solid plate/reverse flow

So the pit is not round. It is flat bottomed and straight sided. (a rectangle) The bottom plate of the smoker extends into the fire box. (see drawing) So you can shove some of the coals under the main body of the cooking chamber. Recovery time of the smoker is very short. Had the lid open for 2min dropped 50* on the thermo and was back to temp in 5min. That's why I'm using this one today.

IMG_4613.jpg

IMG_4612.jpg

IMG_4611.jpg

Looks interesting. We have a shamrock foods warehouse not far from us. I think they have those there, I'll have to check it out. So what do you do with it? Pulled beef?

Looks interesting. We have a shamrock foods warehouse not far from us. I think they have those there, I'll have to check it out. So what do you do with it? Pulled beef?

Sliced, pulled, chopped. The different muscles are good for different things.

Smoke on brother! I ruined one of those not to long ago and might have to try a redemption cook if they have them when I'm down there this weekend...

FYI, I found a bunch chuck roasts the a few weeks ago at Costco, 20+ pounder's, that's my next rodeo...

Update

Smoke on brother! I ruined one of those not to long ago and might have to try a redemption cook if they have them when I'm down there this weekend...

FYI, I found a bunch chuck roasts the a few weeks ago at Costco, 20+ pounder's, that's my next rodeo...

Sturev, I will be at the Visalia Costco tomorrow afternoon. I can give you a heads up if they still have some.

Opened up the cooker at the 4hr mark to add some water to the bowl. Snapped a photo of the clod.

IMG_4616.jpg

Got a probe in it just for ballpark sake. It's sitting around 130* right now. Pit is running at 275*

Back