First Pastrami - I'm A Believer!

gtr

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
For a few years I've been gazing longingly at pastrami posts - they all showed tender & delicious meat and I've always really enjoyed pastrami. Sometime in the past few months I tried some of Big Mista's pastrami and it blew my head clean off. I even yelled "fark!" (but the real word) in front of a bunch of other customers when I took my first bite at his Century City farmer's market vending gig. :oops:

Anyway, I studied up on Marty Leach's, Landarc's and Moose's posts on pastrami and also closely followed thirdeye's recipe from his blog.

I took a 3.5# corned beef, soaked it out for 48 hours with changes of water every 12 hours, rubbed and wrapped it the night before the cook, took it to probe tender in the BW Chubby - cooked at around 250 for 6 hours with pecan and hickory using Trader Joe's (rebadged Rancher) briqs for heat.

I let it cool, wrapped and stuck in the fridge overnight. Today I steamed it to probe tender and made a seriously damn good sammich. I didn't have rye so I went with Country Buttermilk bread and Coleman's mustard with some tater chips on the side.

photo-56.jpg

I left a little fat on because well, I kinda like it. :redface:

photo-57.jpg

photo-58.jpg

It seemed to get more red as it cooled.

photo-59.jpg

Tender, juicy, flavorful - I will be doing this again for sure - regularly. Thanks to those brave pastrami pioneers who documented their exploits!

Thanks for looking!

Wow that looks awesome. One of my favorites.

Now I'm bummed, I'm making boneless chicken breast.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Stellar pron, and I should be able to make it there before kickoff

• Thanks
Awesome. I love making pastrami.

• Thanks
:hungry: Damn that looks crazy good!

I gotta make some soon

• Thanks
Looks great, dude. Once you do one, you'll add it to the regular rotation.

• Thanks
Looks great! Welcome to the Believer's club. I love me some good homemade Pastrami. Next time make your own corned beef to start with.

think of all the good sandwiches you missed -- well better late than never. looks great

• Thanks
Oh yeah, that's the way y' do it. It ain't quick or easy but we both know why we do it when we bite into it.

• Thanks
Back