Menu's

Diesel Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm wondering what you guys have on your menu's for vending.

I'm thinking ours will look something like this:

Sandwiches:
Pulled pork
Brisket

Plates:
1 meat, 2 sides
2 meats, 2 sides
3 meats, 2 sides

Sides:
Cole slaw
Potato salad
Baked beans
Fries
Onion rings

Deserts:
Pie
Peach Cobbler

Ribs:
1/2 slab
Full slab

Kids menu:
Chicken nuggets
Hot dogs

Bag of chips will also be available

This is just what we're thinking and any/all input is greatly appreciated.
Pricing to come as we get things more nailed down on costs

Better throw some mac n' cheese on there, Brother!

I was thinking that and have been told not to make a menu too big.

DONE!!!!!

What is the three meat option? If you have three meats, and two sandwiches, are you adding an item that you are only carrying if you sell the most expensive menu item? Is this efficient?

The third meat would be ribs.
Can't really make a sandwich out of them unless you cook them to shredable tender. Which, if I didn't sell them as sandwiches, I'd be selling an over done rib.
I hope that makes sense

ETD:the ribs will be available on any of the meat plates

That's what I was expecting to hear, so that makes sense.

i see fries and onion rings as added equipment, freezer and fryer that you dont need for the rest of the menu. Mac and Cheese adds to the menu but not to your startup costs and floor plan.

i see fries and onion rings as added equipment, freezer and fryer that you dont need for the rest of the menu. Mac and Cheese adds to the menu but not to your startup costs and floor plan.

I've added these to the floor plan and equipment already. And I do appreciate the input on this

fries are a great add, worth the cost. Plus, you can then offer chicken nuggets, which will sell very well.

A fryer (you should really get two) also created other options, such as BBQ nachos, with pulled pork or chopped brisket over tater tots or fries...leverages menu items, but, relieves menu fatigue after a few months

Well only had room for one double basket fryer in the trailer. And thanks for the ideas Bob.
I'm so glad I'm a member here and have such great input from the Brethren.

Okay, Just to explain my comment, why two fryers are better than one. And this would be a good problem to have...BTW...when ordering and cooking gets really busy, a single fryer can experience a sort of fatigue, where the oil temperature drops and you can't get the production out of the fryer. Now, obviously, a single double basket fryer has larger oil capacity, but, two single basket fryers allows you to 'fallow' one so it has a chance to fully recover. It's all about management of the resources.

I'm guessing no chicken b/c its a space hog? I would think you'd have some pretty good margins on chicken quarters, esp considering the price of ribs and briskets..

Although I agree on both of the points above regarding chicken, out here, menus get driven to extremes constantly with the feeling that you HAVE to have something for women, something for kids, something for vegetarians, something for people on a diet...ad naseum. In the end, I think this often leads to a compromise of the quality of other things.

Although I agree on both of the points above regarding chicken, out here, menus get driven to extremes constantly with the feeling that you HAVE to have something for women, something for kids, something for vegetarians, something for people on a diet...ad naseum. In the end, I think this often leads to a compromise of the quality of other things.

yeah but

In my case, if I am driving along looking for someplace to eat and they dont offer what my wife is interested in then we dont stop and go somplace else

sale lost

I think you could have some simple chicken on the menu, no need to go to extremes, I am in no way suggesting that.

You don't have to offer just chicken parts. I smoke just chicken breast and that is all I serve. Right now I am getting random bl/sl breasts for $1.65/lb. The reason I like these is there is very little loss.

I agree with landarc. And, I believe your menu is too big. I'd dump the chicken nuggets, one of the desserts, and one of the sides. Choices to attract sales are good however, it's easy to offer too many choices and go into competition with yourself sacrificing quality along the way. The kids meal is a good example. Parents want a less expensive alternative for the kids. Hot dogs are a good choice for a BBQ trailer. I believe by offering both hot dogs and chicken nuggets your not really adding sales but rather splitting the "kids sales" and complicating your process. I believe this is true for some of your other offerings as well.

Back