Is my charcoal basket too small??

Philly-QueMaster

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Just wondering if my charcoal basket is too small. I picked up these cheapo uniflame grills for $3.50 and they measure about 14" in diameter. Is this too small for a UDS? Here is a picture of the small grill sitting on the grate of my UDS.

Last edited:
Mine is only 12 inches. Not bragging , but it works great for up to 12 hours. Of course it isnt designed like yours. Mine is like most others here, expanded metal welded to the 12 inch coal grate 2.5 inches off the bottom.

I have some expanded metal type material that I will wrap around the top of this. Its about 5-6" high. Just wondering if the 14" diameter is too small or will it be good enough?

can't tell from the picx, but is the box solid?? or are there holes on the side? I would put holes throughout the box for better air circulation...IMHO...

There are two vents on the bottom that slide closed if needed. I also plan on drilling a few more holes around to help with the air flow.

Kinda of a weird mirror effect. Looks like a grill inside a grill, inside a grill, inside a grill.

Kinda of a weird mirror effect. Looks like a grill inside a grill, inside a grill, inside a grill.
Looks like a 14'' grill w/ charcoal and top grill, sitting on a UDS grill..
Are you going to have enough room for ash build up on long cooks? Opinions?

Back