Texas Ribs

W.I.T.W.A.G?

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Since getting back from Austin I can't get those TX ribs out of my brain! I did not make Tootsie's mop sauce but will for next time. These were still very enjoyable. After so many years focusing on comp practice, I've really enjoyed going back to the basics.
9a04562371ec50d4d0e67878523f1346.jpg
cf8b4c31eab4d2db9be1e8cb16598d66.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Looking good. Sometimes simple is the best. I think we all try to kick them up a notch or two because that is all we see on the internet but for me Salt and Pepper seems to work the best in the long run. Thanks for posting.

Those are mighty fine looking! So what exactly are these Texas ribs you speak of?

I cant speak for anyone in or from TX but my interpretation of TX que is salt, pepper and smoke. It really does allow the meat to be the star. We spend so much time and money trying to make beef and pork taste more like beef and pork that we've forgotten what they actually taste like. The mop is something I'll have to try for next time but when I wrapped I used a bit of butter, hot sauce, and worcestershire. very little (maybe a T of each). Burned Hickory because post oak is hard to find here in WI

Looks great!! by far my favorite pepper and salt 2:1 and spritz to keep them moist if necessary and in the south sometimes the wood and the air have enough moisture to do without wrapping.

I have done the same recently. Get taken over by candy ribs for comp, but bringing it back to the Texas basics is still my favorite...

I'll go 3 hrs on smoke, then wrap with one mopping of sauce, then finish open till done.

I really do not understand why the comp judges want the candy? It used to be about the presentation of the meat itself ( the bones etc ) and then the taste of the meat. I can take a bone of Comp rib but I can eat a rack of Texas Style or similar well cooked ribs!

The Texas Trinity- Brisket Ribs Sausage

Those ribs look like a religious experience

PS: Ill always believe Texas BBQ involves a “kiss of mesquite”. I’ve seen to much of it behind BBQ joints

I really do not understand why the comp judges want the candy? It used to be about the presentation of the meat itself ( the bones etc ) and then the taste of the meat. I can take a bone of Comp rib but I can eat a rack of Texas Style or similar well cooked ribs!

I agree 100%. It's difficult to put so much work into a comp and not really love the end product but if you don't go that route your chances of a win are even less. This may not be true in all parts of the country but it certainly is in the mid-west. This TX bbq trip really changed the way I think about que and that's pretty cool.

That's the point, you only have one bite to impress a judge, so you have to pack as much flavor into that bite as possible...most likely to a palette washed out by round after round after round of sampling other submissions.

There's two types of bbq..."eating bbq" and "comp bbq". Most people wont want to eat a whole slab of ribs covered in Parkay, brown sugar, sauce, possibly some magical injection, etc. They each have their place, though I will say trying to perfect competition barbecue upped my "eating barbecue" game.

Back