Gift ideas to enhance the FIL's electric smoking experience

peeps

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
FIL has used a gas grill for quite a while, then was gifted an ECB a while back (which I now have in the corner of my yard). He didn't have much luck with it so he bought an electric cabinet smoker as he wanted something that was set it and forget it. Not sure of the model, but he bought it from QVC I think, so they offer a Masterbuilt. Let's assume it's this one.

QVC Link

Anyways, he hasn't had much luck getting a good smoke profile with the chip tray. So I was thinking about getting him either an A MAZE N Tube or an A MAZE N tray (link) that uses pellets or dust to enhance the smoke. Any thoughts on these for use in an electric smoker? Any tips/tricks to using this with success on this cooker or similar?

Any other thoughts on similar products?

He doesn't cook much and he just bought this about 6 months ago, so I'm not gonna go over there and start modding it, so are there any other commercial solutions available to enhance his cooking experience on this thing?

I would go for the Amaze N Tube using the pellets. I shouldn't think it would cause any problems as long as it's away from the heating elements. I have the tray for sawdust and love it for cold smoking.

I'd have to look at that smoker in person but I have the older Masterbuilt Cabinet and drilled out the 2 Tiny intake holes (they were like 1/8") and added two more - they are in end of chip tray) and use a fan to increase airflow.

null_zps53799aa7.jpg

null_zps70c2ba49.jpg

I have the 6x6 tray that uses saw dust and not the pellets. I cold smoke cheese with it and it works great. It doesn't generate large amounts of smoke, so it is easier to control the amount of smoke you want on it.

On a note my 6x6 tray, it takes me about 4 hours to get a decent smoke flavor on cheese. Some people will think that is a long time, but if you get the tray you will see how much smoke it produces. The tube on the other hand produces quite a bit of smoke as seen on ManCaveMeals youtube review of the tube smoker.

Is the electric going to enough intake air to keep either of these burning?

PM Cfarmer...he has both and can give you good info

Is the electric going to enough intake air to keep either of these burning?

Good question. The dust maze likes for the bottom vents in the kettle to be wide open in my experience. I think the pellet tube might not be as dependent, but I can't say for sure, never having used one. The guy at A MAZE N could probably give you good advice. I liked dealing with him. Shoot him a question on his website.

Whoops. Missed that post. Even better. Customer feedback!

HI. I am here.

LOL

Ok I have the pellet tray and a old mes.

The pellet tray will burn dust or pellets. There is some are flow problems. I have to pull the chip loader out 2 inches and the chip tray out 2 inches to get enough air flow.

Todd ( the owner of Amazin Products ) says the tube puts out too much smoke for a mes.

Todd is one hell of a guy. If you have any problems you can call him anytime.

I don't ever use chips in my mes anymore.

HI. I am here.

LOL

Ok I have the pellet tray and a old mes.

The pellet tray will burn dust or pellets. There is some are flow problems. I have to pull the chip loader out 2 inches and the chip tray out 2 inches to get enough air flow.

Todd ( the owner of Amazin Products ) says the tube puts out too much smoke for a mes.

Todd is one hell of a guy. If you have any problems you can call him anytime.
It sounds like yours is not configured like this...

k37133.003

I'll have to take a look at his and see what can be done before buying this as I'm not sure of the intake arrangement.

I'm not understanding what you mean by pull the chip loader and chip tray out 2" to get the air flow you need. It sounds like your tray is accessible without opening the door, where with my FIL's, the tray doesn't seem to be accessible without opening the door.

The tray goes into side of smoker and can be pulled and reloaded without opening smoker. On the Chuckie pictured above I burned 4 trays of chips with help of the fan.

Back