Competition brisket warm-up

Dtmara

Found some matches.
Hi, all!

I'm attaching (hopefully) brisket I smoked this past weekend to practice for competition this upcoming weekend. My wife took these photos while I was cutting. Please tell me what you think from what you can see in these attachments.

Thanks,

Dave

Attachments

• practice brisket.jpg
    practice brisket.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 295
  • practice brisket 2.jpg
    practice brisket 2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 295
Looks excellent! I would +1 on the comment about slices being too thick. By the looks of it you cooked it pretty darn near perfect, so they should hold together fine being thinner.

Looks juicy. In addition to the thickness other mentioned, to me the slices also seem uneven. Use a long knife and try to cut evenly across the whole brisket.

Open Question:

By looking at what appears to be the grain of the uncut
portion, it is not "across the grain", is that normal for comps
cuts?

Dtmara: Did it pass the pull test?

It is hard for me to tell from that photo angle - it would help to see it like you would have it going into a box. Slices from the front

sure looks about right!

thick or thin, the slices should probably be more even. easier said than done though, i know!

brisket looks great, agree slices look uneven I have the same problem any suggestions from you pros on how to get consistant even slices(maybe some kind of guide)

brisket looks great, agree slices look uneven I have the same problem any suggestions from you pros on how to get consistant even slices(maybe some kind of guide)

Cut a chunk off some where you aren't going to turn in, and use it as a guide. Other than the spacing (which I found distracting) I thought it looked quite good.

Open Question:

By looking at what appears to be the grain of the uncut
portion, it is not "across the grain", is that normal for comps
cuts?

Dtmara: Did it pass the pull test?

It looks to me to be cut at a slight bias across the grain, it definately is not with the grain. I have judged some contest entries that were sliced with the grain, it could not be pull tested even with a winch, but amazingly enough the chew was decently tender.

Back