Garage Sale Score - Disc WOK

hamiltont

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I was inspired by Knucklhed BBQ with this post http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109336&page=1 . The next week I had a brand new 20" Disc. Our neighbor welded up the hole & put a couple horseshoes on for handles. I was set! Then last Friday I was coming home from work & there was a Disc WOK & Burner just sitting there just as pretty as the day at a Garage Sale. So I stopped.

I said Discada? NO DISCO! Not Discada? NO DISCO! Whatever! How much? $40. Give ya $20. No, lady here earlier & went to bank for money. I said - Do you see her here now? NO! I said - Neither do I. $30 and that's it!

Now I had 2 discs (1 new & 1 used) & a practically new burner. The knob was missing but I found that a stove burner knob fits pretty good. A Vise-Grip is doing the job for now. The burner has an inner & outer ring and adjusts from just the inner ring on low to both on high. More control that anything I've ever cooked on. WOHOO!! Here are some pics from this morning's breakfast. Cheers!!!

All Seasoned & Ready to Go:
DSCN2571.jpg

The Burner:
DSCN2572.jpg

Sausage:
DSCN2573.jpg

DSCN2574.jpg

Potatoes:
DSCN2576.jpg

DSCN2577.jpg

All Mixed Together with Scrambled Eggs:
DSCN2580.jpg

Almost Forgot to Take a PIC of the Plate (The 505 Green Chile was perfect with it!)
DSCN2582.jpg

Thanks for Looking...

Discadas are becoming quite popular, and yours looks like it performs wonderfully!

I want' some of that breakfast! Had some just like that off a discada at the 2004 Terlingua International chili cook offs. It was the best meal I had the whole extended weekend, including all the beans and chili that I judged for the event.

look good I have made several of them . I always put wooden handles on the one I have made.

look good I have made several of them . I always put wooden handles on the one I have made.
Wood handles would be a good idea! I've been using welding gloves to handle it when it's hot but even with those you need to be quick. :wink: Cheers!!!

Discadas are becoming quite popular, and yours looks like it performs wonderfully!

I want' some of that breakfast! Had some just like that off a discada at the 2004 Terlingua International chili cook offs. It was the best meal I had the whole extended weekend, including all the beans and chili that I judged for the event.

The breakfast was truly delicious, and simple. JD Sausage, potatoes and scrambled eggs. I was amazed that nothing stuck to the WOK being the maiden voyage & all. We're already making plans for future cooks with it. Cheers!!!

Whooaaa-there! Hawt diggiddy!

Thanks for the props but you fully out did me! Great lookin breakfast!

Since you've got 2 of em, now you have a lid! :crazy:

I see you slapped the shoes on the under side of the disc... mine are on top cuz I forgot to give specific intructions to my buddy that welded em. :doh: They actually don't get in the way nearly as much as I thought they would though.

And the no-sticking? crazy huh? Mine even has quite a bit of pitting from rust and still works great!

They are very easy to make most farmer will have some use dic blades .

What did you use to remove the paint after you bought it?
My disk warped really bad when I tried to burn the paint off in the UDS drum.

What did you use to remove the paint after you bought it?
My disk warped really bad when I tried to burn the paint off in the UDS drum.

I burned the paint off in a camp fire and then hit it with a wire wheel. Then I put it on a turkey fryer burner & moved it around until the entire Disc turned almost a silver color. Then I used Kosher Salt & a rag to scour it. Then seasoned it lightly & "cooked" it in on the turkey fryer burner by moving it around, just like above. After that I started seasoning it until the rags came off clean. Cheers!!!

Back