MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:27 PM   #1
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David
Default Hot Sauces - Slap Ya Mama

Started a new thread rather than hijack the rabbit gumbo thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw
I've tried a ton of hot sauce's. For an all purpose one, Slap Ya Mamma is the best IMO. Not as vinegary as most.
Everywhere that I work, I start a "Hot Sauce Bar". I buy 4-6 hot sauces and a tray to place them on near the break room. They generally take on a life of their own as people start contributing their favorites.

On my last project, we started a scoreboard where people could rank and rate the sauces. We had approximately 50 people on the project from amny backgrounds: Hispanics, Indians, Vietnamese, Chinese, Greek, Russian, etc.. There was lots of activity at the sauce bar. Slap Ya Mama was the runaway favorite. We were going through a bottle every 3-4 weeks, whereas others lasted months.

I recommend it.

Do y'all have any other favorites?

David

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "Stick burning/ fire management is the manual transmission of the bbq world!" - W.I.T.W.A.G?
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2019, 08:34 PM   #2
drunkenmeatfist
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : chipper

How does Slap Ya Mama taste as a wing sauce?
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2019, 08:36 PM   #3
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist View Post
How does Slap Ya Mama taste as a wing sauce?
I like it better than Franks, which is what most people use. if you use a lot of it, you can buy by the gallon on their website.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-09-2019, 08:37 PM   #4
WilliamKY
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : William

I just have to add this. I'm pretty much a Louisiana or Crystal hot sauce guy. I'm not big on flaming heat. Anyhow, someone at work kept stealing my Crystal from the break room refrigerator so I bought some 1 Million Scoville extract and laced a bottle. That bottle disappeared too but the thievery stopped.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:49 PM   #5
food4thot
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik, E

Have always liked this. They make an XXXX too.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-09-2019, 08:55 PM   #6
drunkenmeatfist
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : chipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamKY View Post
I just have to add this. I'm pretty much a Louisiana or Crystal hot sauce guy. I'm not big on flaming heat. Anyhow, someone at work kept stealing my Crystal from the break room refrigerator so I bought some 1 Million Scoville extract and laced a bottle. That bottle disappeared too but the thievery stopped.
You sly dog!
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2019, 09:20 PM   #7
jermoQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

This is not an original at all, but I have been enjoying Zatarains hotsauce. It isnt too spicy, but I like the zing compared to some others. This one is one of my hotter favorites. I found it after trying 20 or so at a Pepper Palace in Branson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190509_211848.jpg (44.3 KB, 287 views)

Last edited by jermoQ; 05-09-2019 at 09:29 PM..
jermoQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2019, 10:40 PM   #8
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

FYI - World Market and Safeway generally carry Slap Ya Mama products.

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "Stick burning/ fire management is the manual transmission of the bbq world!" - W.I.T.W.A.G?

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-10-2019, 12:05 AM   #9
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Don't we know it SS.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBT-6X Bluetooth Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019, 05:33 AM   #10
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamKY View Post
LOL, Way to go William, I love it.

Many years ago I work on programmable logic circuits at a food processing plant. The forklift driver would take items like cookies and such out of peoples lunches. I opened oreo cookies and hollowed out the center of the filling and placed cayenne pepper inside the remaining ring of filling and carefully reassembled them.

BUT GETTING BACK TO THE ORIGINAL THREAD.....

SS, what a great way to share your favorite sauces and get input along with rankings on multiple sauce products. KUDOS!!!

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019, 05:53 AM   #11
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan
BUT GETTING BACK TO THE ORIGINAL THREAD.....

SS, what a great way to share your favorite sauces and get input along with rankings on multiple sauce products. KUDOS!!!
I've done this wherever I have worked. My initial investment is about $15-$20. Other people usually start contributing and before long we'll have 20+ sauces.

It's s cheap teambuilding exercise.

At my last project, one guy complained that he didn't like hot sauces and thought it was stupid. The next day someone had added a bottle of Rolaids with his name on it.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #12
frayedend
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Jim

I'm looking on Amazon and there is Slap Ya Mama Cajun Pepper sauce, or just Hot Sauce. Which one did you like? Hoping to order a combo that has one of each but the reviews vary on what is actually received.
frayedend is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #13
Inthewoods
is One Chatty Farker

I'm a fan of the "Dave's Insanity" line of hot sauces! So many good choices and some that are "arm sweating" over the top.

-D
Inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #14
cholloway
Babbling Farker

I like the flavor of good peppers and the sauce they produce, not the heat.
I remember one of my Dad's favorites was Pickapeppa sauce and homemade chow-chow.

New Braunfels Hondo Offset
New Braunfels Bandera (Refurbished & Improved)
38 year old Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019, 11:05 AM   #15
stckciv
Knows what a fatty is.

Depends on what I'm putting it on. Secret Aardvark is a nice mild sauce. Pex Peppers, Lucky Dog, Hotline Pepper Products are my go to for most of what I eat and I generally take those 3 camping as well. Some of those will catch people off guard as they can be pretty hot.

Glad you reminded me as I need to put in an order today for different hot sauces.
stckciv is offline   Reply With Quote