BBQ Ethics

To the OP. Everyone here has been very accommodating ... so far. The copied and pasted content in post # 35 has changed that for me at least. (pita?)

Those of you who've explored these issues for yourselves, how have you moved forward? How do you justify your support of the factory farming industry?

1. I don’t have time, space, or know how to grow all my own food.
2. I tried BBQing some tofu once, but it tasted like 💩

I just made my first purchase from Crowd Cow which supports independent small farmers. Have looked into buying more from places like Chapman Cattle out of Texas and the such. Also thinking about swapping all my chicken and pork to a local butcher who raises everything pasture raised and free range.

The hardest thing besides price is convenience. I have a great local grocery store that I have gotten great steaks and briskets from. So now I'll have to make sure I have things stocked in the freezer compared to just running down to the store. Or even things like the organic boneless skinless chicken at Costco.

An interesting, thought provoking first post.

It made me take a long, hard look at something I had taken for granted: ready to go meat in my fridge.

Oh- I'm still going to eat it - all of it- but I did ponder on it.

I guess what I'm getting at is that given what I know to be true about the negative effects of factory farmed meat, I'm looking for better reasons than a fat, full belly and dogpiss cider to continue enjoying the delicious bounties of modern human civilization.

It is an interesting discussion and I do understand your concerns, but here’s the best part! You have a choice! Buy from local sources or those on Crowd Cow and others that treat their animal more humanely, and buy locally grown produce. No one is forcing you to buy from those factory farms.

Oddly enough only chicken has bothered me so far. Perdue specifically.
Very odd some of these chickens are bred to grow very quickly. So large are their breasts that they can't stand. Some get sores and broken legs and other ailments.
Perdue is what we buy. Now there are videos from both Peta and from Perdue chicken farmers. Which one is telling the truth? Peta or Perdue? Both have an agenda. Imo I don't know. Imo the truth is somewhere in the middle. Peta probably finds the worst offenders who are cruel. Perdue finds the best farmers possible to show how humanely their chicken is raised.
It would be nice if Peta really worked towards eithical treatment of animals but in reality they are about trying to shame and ruin hard working folks that are not cruel to animals right along with the animal abusers. So no one listens to them at all even if at times they may have a valid point. They yelled wolf one to many times and now they are a joke.
Problem is you have no give and take on either side. In reality to some level killing an animal is cruel its part of life. There does imo need to be an effort to limit the cruelty but it will never be completely cruelty free.
Groups like Peta need to overhaul their image. They need to accept meat is a part of life that is not going away. The best thing for them to do is stop shaming hard working farmers and folks that eat meat. They need to try to blow the whistle on folks that are being more cruel than necessary and shut them down. Problem is I think they will have a tough time overhauling their image at this point. To many folks despise them for their position. If anything I think it allows truly cruel animal abusers to get away with being more cruel than is necessary or acceptable. Why? No one listens to anyone trying to call out animal abusers.
I buy perdue its .79 lb for leg quarters its cheap and feeds the family. That is my only justification its cheap. Maybe not the answer your looking for but we have a very tight budget to get debt free in less than a year. I am not happy about the alleged abuses but my families financial security comes first.

Wow, a lot of yall are acting like complete asses. Lots of justifications without actually addressing the topic. "starving children" is a cop out, too. The US alone wastes enough food each year to damn near feed the rest of the world combined. There a big difference in our massive, factory farming operations and free roaming animals.

To the OP, it's all about money. You have to be willing to support those smaller farms. It's significantly more expensive and time consuming to raise animals in a better environment. You won't find those easter weekend 1.39/lb briskets.

Very odd some of these chickens are bred to grow very quickly. So large are their breasts that they can't stand. Some get sores and broken legs and other ailments.
Perdue is what we buy. Now there are videos from both Peta and from Perdue chicken farmers. Which one is telling the truth? Peta or Perdue? Both have an agenda. Imo I don't know. Imo the truth is somewhere in the middle. Peta probably finds the worst offenders who are cruel. Perdue finds the best farmers possible to show how humanely their chicken is raised.
It would be nice if Peta really worked towards eithical treatment of animals but in reality they are about trying to shame and ruin hard working folks that are not cruel to animals right along with the animal abusers. So no one listens to them at all even if at times they may have a valid point. They yelled wolf one to many times and now they are a joke.
Problem is you have no give and take on either side. In reality to some level killing an animal is cruel its part of life. There does imo need to be an effort to limit the cruelty but it will never be completely cruelty free.
Groups like Peta need to overhaul their image. They need to accept meat is a part of life that is not going away. The best thing for them to do is stop shaming hard working farmers and folks that eat meat. They need to try to blow the whistle on folks that are being more cruel than necessary and shut them down. Problem is I think they will have a tough time overhauling their image at this point. To many folks despise them for their position. If anything I think it allows truly cruel animal abusers to get away with being more cruel than is necessary or acceptable. Why? No one listens to anyone trying to call out animal abusers.
I buy perdue its .79 lb for leg quarters its cheap and feeds the family. That is my only justification its cheap. Maybe not the answer your looking for but we have a very tight budget to get debt free in less than a year. I am not happy about the alleged abuses but my families financial security comes first.
This is true, but extremism brings in donations. Especially since they have that reputation now. Similar to the NRA in a lot of ways.

If you want big chicken breast try GFS. Last summer a co-worker and I split a sale on 40lbs of chicken breasts. They were the biggest I've ever seen. One breast could feed two people easily. I named them "Dinobreasts".

"I do have a problem with powered Rhino Horn, Shark Fin Soup, Ivory Tusks, and Gorilla Hands etc."

Amen. I also dont have a problem when poachers are shot on sight. Some of those African countries don't play. I read where a rhino poacher was killed by an elephant and eaten by a pride of lions.#Karma.

Oddly enough only chicken has bothered me so far. Perdue finds the best farmers possible to show how humanely their chicken is raised.
It would be nice if Peta really worked towards eithical treatment of animals but in reality they are about trying to shame and ruin hard working folks that are not cruel to animals right along with the animal abusers.There does imo need to be an effort to limit the cruelty but it will never be completely cruelty free.
Groups like Peta need to overhaul their image. They need to accept meat is a part of life that is not going away. The best thing for them to do is stop shaming hard working farmers and folks that eat meat.

I can agree with you on a lot of your points. I know that meat companies employ the best farmers they get AND they are not fully responsible for teh actions of farmers, or the employees who load and unload animals for transport. I am on the boat that happier animals make tastier animals, but it costs companies, and farmers quite a bit more money to allow 2,000+ animals the be less stressed. If that issue could get addressed through the meat companies first, then all farmers could get on board.

80% of this country live in urban areas and there would be no way to feed these people without factory farming for both meat and produce. Since farming started being mechanized about 150+ years ago the population has increased 700% partly because of the abundance of food from mechanized farming. As a result we have developed a society that is so dependent on this technology that a major portion of the worlds population would probably die if it were shut off.

James Burke called this the “technology trap” when he presented it in the first episode of “connections” tv serious back in the 1978. Here is the episode. https://youtu.be/XetplHcM7aQ

Chris

Connections was an excellent program!

To stay on topic, I simply cannot raise my own animals to eat, not to mention I actually feel bad watching an animal die. I have a real hard time when animals are mistreated or tortured before death and would have no problem subjecting said offender to the same.

That said I'm sure I would have some issues killing animals to eat, but I have no doubt I would get over it eventually and do the deed as humanely as possible. Because I enjoy the way they taste and cannot fathom not eating meat. :crazy:

I buy 99% of my meat from a local farmer whose hogs live in the woods and on pasture and whose cows live on pasture and are fed nothing but grass 365 days a year. The few times I do buy conventionally raised meat do not amount to enough to support anyone, but even then I try to buy organic or at least all natural “never ever” meat. It tastes better, it has a healthier balance of macros, and the omega balance is better. It’s also more mineral rich since the animals are in more and closer contact with the soil. Finally, it’s more nutrient dense since the animals are the focus rather than just profits. It’s worth it for us, although I VERY RARELY talk about it publicly bc I do think every family has to make the best decision they can, and I’d hate to make anyone feel guilty or create a sense of judgment etc.

Wow, a lot of yall are acting like complete asses. Lots of justifications without actually addressing the topic. "starving children" is a cop out, too. The US alone wastes enough food each year to damn near feed the rest of the world combined. There a big difference in our massive, factory farming operations and free roaming animals.

To the OP, it's all about money. You have to be willing to support those smaller farms. It's significantly more expensive and time consuming to raise animals in a better environment. You won't find those easter weekend 1.39/lb briskets.

I don't think we are. We simply don't have the level of drama in how animals destined for our tables are treated. Sure, I'd like it to be massages and beer and harps playing, but that's not realistic, and I am ok with that.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I think the OP has an agenda and is simply trying to convey it in a way to make his or her point without the picketing and pig's blood.

Starving children is an entirely different topic IMHO.

Back