Prepping for first big cook (more Pron to be added)

yobtaf

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
It is my wife's 40th birthday so tomorrow I invited some of her friends over. We are having about 20 people show up. Im making 20lbs of pulled pork, chicken legs, smoked mac and cheese, coleslaw, lil smokies in bacon and brown sugar, and apple pie. Here is most of the stuff, going to trim the butts and get them rubbed down with Simply Marvelous cherry and season all. Then do some work around the house and start cooking about 11pm tonight. People are showing up around 5pm tomorrow. I will get the butts on about 12am and they should be done around 2pm or so, then I will foil and put in the ice chest covered with towels.

Any advice you might have, bring it! I will be using 2 UDS's

IMG_9572.jpg

Sounds like a good time. Happy birthday to the wife!!

I don't think it'll take 14 hours for those butts unless you run at a really low temp. Cooking @ around 275, I'd think they'll be done in 10 hours or less. You can always put them in a cooler for an extended rest before pulling.

The UDS tends to cook things faster because of the direct heat.

Sounds like a good time. Happy birthday to the wife!!
Thnaks!
I don't think it'll take 14 hours for those butts unless you run at a really low temp. Cooking @ around 275, I'd think they'll be done in 10 hours or less. You can always put them in a cooler for an extended rest before pulling.

The UDS tends to cook things faster because of the direct heat.

The last two test runs I did took about 13 hours at 225°-240°. I am giving my self a little extra time just in case. From what I have read here, you can leave them in the cooler for about 4-5 hours and they will still be hot. Im kinda banking on that. I would rather be a bit early, then late. It is going to be in the low 30's tonight and chance of rain. I dont know if that is going to play that big of a roll in the cook.

If you think Im looking at it wrong I am all ears.

IMG_9572.jpg
[/QUOTE]

For some reason one of my favorite pics that gets posted is the massive pile of food waiting to be cooked :-D. Thanks!

Rubbed two out and into the fridge they go. Ill post more pics along the way and keep the advice coming.:-D

IMG_9574.jpg

IMG_9576.jpg

Sounds good to me. I've held many a meal in the cooler without issue. I lay a towel at the bottom, wrap the meat in a towel, lay it in the cooler and lay a towel over that.

Have fun and Happy Birthday to the wife. :clap2:

Looks good brotha, I'm doing butt's this weekend also but I'm braking all the rulls and doing them hot n fast making my spicy butt sauce now I look forward to your PRON:becky:

Happy Birthday to your wife and Best of Luck on your party/cookout. When you are finished you can come to my house and do my grocery shopping for my Thanksgiving Family Reunion. Hope I didn't bite:becky: off more than I can chew.

Looking good! Happy birthday to your better half. Let us know how it turns out!

Thanks all for the replies. Am I on track for my timing? Two 9.5lb butts at 225°-240° about 13-14 hours? Then hold in cooler 4 hours or less.

Thanks all for the replies. Am I on track for my timing? Two 9.5lb butts at 225°-240° about 13-14 hours? Then hold in cooler 4 hours or less.

Sounds reasonable to me! Good luck on the cook! :thumb: Oh, and Happy Birthday to the wife!

Thnaks!

The last two test runs I did took about 13 hours at 225°-240°. I am giving my self a little extra time just in case. From what I have read here, you can leave them in the cooler for about 4-5 hours and they will still be hot. Im kinda banking on that. I would rather be a bit early, then late. It is going to be in the low 30's tonight and chance of rain. I dont know if that is going to play that big of a roll in the cook.

If you think Im looking at it wrong I am all ears.

Sounds perfect. We cook on the same equipment and sounds like you have a good plan bro.

Deffinetly right on track
Font forget more pron

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

Thanks all. Gonna take a nap and get up at 11 :becky:

Wife says thanks for all the happy bdays, and she said thanks Steph for the cherry sauce :clap2:

Back