Question for Eggers help RTD!

yelonutz

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I picked up a deal on Craigs list recently. I got a Medium egg, cart and a Mini thrown in. They are older models as the Medium did not have the spring assist hinge. I have noticed in RTD's photos of his mini (Tattoo) that it seems to only have one hinged support for the lid and opens very widely. Mine has two supports and doesn't open that far. It is kind of a pain to cook on since getting food in and out is difficult, and forget about flipping stuff over. The Egg website photos don't show the hinge. So do I update or is it the older ones that have the single support? Thanks in advance.

NUTZ

Last edited:
Now that you're converted to an Egger can I have the Gator?

I picked up a deal on Craigs list recently. I got a Medium egg, cart and a Mini thrown in. They are older models as the Medium did not have the spring assist hinge. I have noticed in RTD's photos of his mini (Tattoo) that it seems to only have one hinged support for the lid and opens very widely. Mine has two supports and doesn't open that far. It is kind of a pain to cook on since getting food in and out is difficult, and forget about flipping stuff over. The Egg website photos don't show the hinge. So do I update or is it the older ones that have the single support? Thanks in advance.

NUTZ

I havent seen that hinge you described but as far as i know BGE is coming up with a brand new spring assisted hinge for the Mini very soon.
So if you really wanna upgrade, it might be worth it to wait a couple of weeks.

DM

Now that you're converted to an Egger can I have the Gator?

Actually, I ordered a 22" WSM last night. I will trade you the Gator for a check. Just leave the amount blank and sign it!:shock:

NUTZ

Mine only has one prop as well... No idea how old it is...

P1060707.JPG

yelo call smitty at eggsbythebay.com he can hook u up

yours is older. call smitty as suggested or call the headquarters in atlanta and ask them about the new spring assist for the mini. i've heard the new hinge rumor also. i've also heard the minis are being discontinued.

looks like a rutland gasket on the bottom, but i'm not sure...

welcome to the mini club!

Shouldn't there be a gasket under the lid? My large BGE has one, but I have the felt-type factory gasket.

Shouldn't there be a gasket under the lid? My large BGE has one, but I have the felt-type factory gasket.

there was at one time. mini's prefer to be naked and gasketless... like tattoo here

surfnturfmini-004.jpg

I have a Rutland gasket on the Mini and the Medium. Really cheap and so far working out fine. RTD, I have it on the mini so when I have food on a plate and am trying to close the mini, sometimes the lid slams. I think that may be one reason that they went to one support. Anyway, that gasket gives me a little cushion and costs about $1.00

NUTZ

yep... ya gotta be careful when your naked. :biggrin:

if they come out with a spring assist for the mini, i'm getting one. wessb from the bge forum welded a small bge spring assist hinge to mini bands. worked great!

Back