Pizza question for you Eggers

thillin

somebody shut me the fark up.
Finally got a BGE pizza stone. Any tips on using it? Put it on the plate setter or I've read about raising the pizza stone off the plate setter to keep from burning crust. I'll make the first one on a Boboli crust. Any pointers on that like temp and time? I got the extra thin Boboli.

I usually just put the stone on the plate setter, but I saw where someone (maybe on here) used the little green feet that came with your egg to set the stone up above the setter. I haven't tried that yet, b/c I haven't done a home-made thin pizza in a while.

I get my egg up to at least 550 and let it settle there for about 30 minutes prior to putting the pizza on. That way the dome ceramic is good and hot. Have the peel ready to go and throw that bad boy on as quick as possible to avoid losing too much top heat. I use a flashlight to check on the cheese progress. I've never burned a bottom, but I've got a few pretty crispy.

A hint that I learned as I went along was to use kosher salt on the peel instead of corn meal b/c it doesn't burn.

Regarding pizza cooks, I have noticed an abnormally high number of burned gaskets talked about in the Green Room lately. Don't know if BGE has changed material or newbies are using too big/hot of a fire. The legs down plate setter & stone does concentrate the heat right at the rim.

I haven't tried the Boboli crusts yet, but have heard they were pretty good. We have Papa Murphys Take n' Bakes here. I like to shoot for 450* on the stone, (I use a flat oven thermometer) and start it out on the cardboard tray until the dough starts turning gold, and then slide it off the tray onto the stone(dusted with cornmeal) they have been turning out great. I've seen pics of Rick using the feet to raise the stone off the platesetter higher into the dome.

Brian

Regarding pizza cooks, I have noticed an abnormally high number of burned gaskets talked about in the Green Room lately. Don't know if BGE has changed material or newbies are using too big/hot of a fire. The legs down plate setter & stone does concentrate the heat right at the rim.
That's why I switched to a Rutland gasket last year. :cool: Controversial? Maybe. But it works for me.

i always use the little green feet between the plate setter and the stone. not really sure why, other than because i can. the theory is it gets the stone higher in the dome, and allows for even heat and air circulation below the stone... plus the little feet don't get lonely!

haven't really baked too many pizza's, but seems the second one comes out better than the first. probably cause the first didn't have the stone hot enuf cause i couldn't wait for the preheat :biggrin:

i tried cornmeal at first, but have switched to parchment paper. you need to trim the paper to fit the stone cause anything hangin out will burn, see below, heheh

no soap on the stone, and no seasoning. wipe of spills or burn them off.

26jan07-003.jpg

i decided this thread needs more pix! :biggrin:

07marbristol-004.jpg

3feb07-005.jpg

3feb07-007.jpg

3feb07-010.jpg

26jan07-017.jpg

i always use the little green feet between the plate setter and the stone. not really sure why, other than because i can. the theory is it gets the stone higher in the dome, and allows for even heat and air circulation below the stone... plus the little feet don't get lonely!

haven't really baked too many pizza's, but seems the second one comes out better than the first. probably cause the first didn't have the stone hot enuf cause i couldn't wait for the preheat :biggrin:

i tried cornmeal at first, but have switched to parchment paper. you need to trim the paper to fit the stone cause anything hangin out will burn, see below, heheh

no soap on the stone, and no seasoning. wipe of spills or burn them off.

Nice lookin' pies bro.

I use a couple of pieces of angle iron on the plate setter for the air gap between the setter and the pizza stone or anything I cook in a Pyrex casserole dish.

4641d6d3.jpg

Nice lookin' pies bro.

I use a couple of pieces of angle iron on the plate setter for the air gap between the setter and the pizza stone or anything I cook in a Pyrex casserole dish.
great idea, sir. i saw some people use a thinner stone (none bge) and it broke when they elevated it with the feet. the large's stone is bigger than my medium's, so those angles providing uniform support is a good idea.

hey, did you get my email awhile back about the wiggle thingy? the email was rejected the first time. i think the "delight" part of my name is getting my emails routed to a spam folder or something! :shock:

Rick, your pics seem to always make my mouth water. Thanks.

great idea, sir. i saw some people use a thinner stone (none bge) and it broke when they elevated it with the feet. the large's stone is bigger than my medium's, so those angles providing uniform support is a good idea.

hey, did you get my email awhile back about the wiggle thingy? the email was rejected the first time. i think the "delight" part of my name is getting my emails routed to a spam folder or something! :shock:

I did not, but I just PM'd you here.

I looked and looked through my links for this one but I couldn't find it, nor could I recall who it came from, I knew it was from an Egger, but I was stuck .....Lo and behold he posted it tonight. It is from T-Rex's site. (so famous for steaks I did not think of pizza!!).

Anyway, for another technique, check this out.

http://houseoffaulkner.com/pizza.html

I haven't tried the Boboli crusts yet, but have heard they were pretty good. We have Papa Murphys Take n' Bakes here. I like to shoot for 450* on the stone, (I use a flat oven thermometer) and start it out on the cardboard tray until the dough starts turning gold, and then slide it off the tray onto the stone(dusted with cornmeal) they have been turning out great. I've seen pics of Rick using the feet to raise the stone off the platesetter higher into the dome.

Brian

If you do a Big Murphy I'd appreciate your results!

Heres the results. The Egg settled in about 600 degrees. About 8 minutes and it was done. I need a pizza peel so I can cook direct on the stone. The bottom didn't crisp up on the screen. Bought some fresh mozzarelaand fresh bread to make garlic bread.

Attachments

• IMG_2470.JPG
    IMG_2470.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2471.JPG
    IMG_2471.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2473.JPG
    IMG_2473.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 33
Looks great Ty! Are you using the stone on a raised grate or is the grate on the platesetter?
I saw a cast iron skillet with small molded handles that would fit perfect in the Large, I was thinking it might work great for pizza if I invert it on the platesetter and heat the stone on top of it, Rick and Wayne, any thoughts?

Brian

Looks great Ty! Are you using the stone on a raised grate or is the grate on the platesetter?
I saw a cast iron skillet with small molded handles that would fit perfect in the Large, I was thinking it might work great for pizza if I invert it on the platesetter and heat the stone on top of it, Rick and Wayne, any thoughts?

Brian

The grate is sitting on the plate setter and the pizza stone is sitting on the 3 Egg feet.

Lodge makes a deep dish pizza pan. I don't know the specs though.

Back