Oak & Hickory Smoked Pepper Crusted Filet

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
The other day, the missus and I were going through the freezer, and found a hunk of meat we had vacuum sealed. We didn't know what it was at first, then we realized it was 1/2 of a whole USDA Choice filet we scored at Restaurant Depot a few months back. Thought I would put it to good use, so after it thawed, I rubbed it down with seasoned pepper and kosher salt. Added a touch of Lawry's on top just for kicks:

IMG_0906-1.jpg

Meanwhile, I prepared the Kingsford oval for the usual smoky reverse sear, and added a piece of oak and some hickory chips:

IMG_0909-1.jpg

I lit about 15 briquets in the chimney starter, then dumped them on the unlit briqs along with the oak chunk & hickory chips:

IMG_0910-1.jpg

Then I put the meat on the cool side of the grill so it could take a nice smoke bath in the oak & hickory:

IMG_0911-1.jpg

About 20 mins later, I turned the meat, and placed it closer to the hot side of the grill:

IMG_0912-1.jpg

Once the internal temp of the filet reached 110, I moved it to the hot side of the grill so it could get a nice crust by evenly searing on all sides. I pulled the meat at 125 and let it rest for about 15 mins:

IMG_0913-1.jpg

It was time to carve the meat, and while I was doing that, the Missus whipped up some of her world famous cheesy garlic bread and a salad. The meat cut like butter and was done perfectly:

IMG_0914-1.jpg

Here are a few slices plated with the cheesy garlic bread, and the salad. Sorry, didn't make time to take a more formal pic with better lighting, but you get the general idea:

IMG_0915-1.jpg

Thanks for checking out my pepper crusted filet!

Yeah, right, lighting. You could show that in total darkness and it would still shine. Mmmm, nicely cooked:thumb:

Looks great, but damn now I have to wipe the drool off my keyboard

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM..............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nice Moose..... Very Nice

MMMmmmmm......MMMmmmmm.....MMMMmmmoooossseee!
You hit that one just right! Can taste it from here!
Her bread looks PHANTASTIC too!..(a little borrow from Phubar there!)

"nothing satisfies like beef"..yum, nice job!

Back