Pork Butt PRON

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
I put two 9 pound pork butts on the drum this morning for the game tonight. A local supermarket has them on sale right now for $.88 a pound. They are chugging away right now. Here is an in-progress pic.

picture.php

I put two 9 pound pork butts on the drum this morning for the game tonight. A local supermarket has them on sale right now for $.88 a pound. They are chugging away right now. Here is an in-progress pic.

How big is your freezer? $0.88 per pound is a steal!

Thanks, brethren!

I made up a big batch of Man v. Pig competition sauce to go on the pork. It has vinegar, sugar, ketchup, pepper, and some secrets. It epitomizes Central VA style BBQ sauce.

picture.php

Here is the stoker log of the butt cook so far. You can see where I added fuel and opened the lid to foil and to adjust the temp probes. I have found that it is best to set the smoker to hold about 250 F and then let the stoker maintain temp above that. In this case, I am cooking hot and fast at 325 F. Setting the smoker to hold at least 250 F makes sure the fire doesn't go out during the cook.

picture.php

You had to add fuel 2 hours into the cook? How small is your basket?

Other than that they look great. $.88/lb is a slam dunk. I would be calling friends and neighbors to lease out freezer space.

I way underestimated how much fuel I needed. I don't usually do hot and fast in my UDS. Live and learn.

Ah, gotcha. I usually just keep the basket full and shut off the air when the cook is done. Then top off the basket for the next cook and away we go.

Yep, I think that if I am going to do hot and fast in the UDS I will have to increase the size of my charcoal basket. Right now it's about 12" square and 6 inches deep. I think I may have to add some taller walls to it to make it deeper.

Just pulled them from the smoker and letting them rest. Will post some more pics shortly.

I also put my first fatty on my Bubba keg. That is going to be interesting.

Back