THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FatDaddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Well broke down today and bought a weber silver series 22 1/2" kettle to do some chicken quarters this weekend. Been along time since i cooked w/ one of these lol.. but figured i would get better results then firing up the big smoker and spending all day tending a fire and burning alot of wood. Hope to have many a good cook to come off of it. found the charcoal holders for it to so i can use for indirect heat. gonna fire it up tomorrow morning when we get out of mass.

Now. any recommendations that yall have would be greatly appreciated.

I could have one of those "people" you mentioned in one of my threads come over and "season" it for ya!:wink:

Seriously, just heat her up and get that new paint smell off first.

will do that tonight when we get in from the bar.. will be a good task as we sit outside and drink some more shiner!!

Also Guessing i could throw some fatties on it as well..

I picked one up last week, and it is a pretty nice little setup with the charcoal baskets and the lid holster. Can't wait to do a roast!

I need a new kettle. Mine is almost 30 years old! Its faded to gray, half the handle is broken off and one wheel falls off! I guess I should splurge and buy a newer one!

Fatdaddy, I did some chicken thighs in mine a few weeks ago. I brined them in a brown sugar-maple brine for an hour, rubbed them and cooked them indirect for about an hour, and then crisped up the skin over the coals. they came out great! Depending on how many quarters you're cooking, you should be able to do the same thing.

ADMIN EDIT: Had to delete link to picture.. Picture was removed form source site and came up as NOT FOUND.

Been lurking for a couple weeks ~ seemed like a good time to introduce myself. John Eddy is my name ... go by Chez John, or just Chez fer short. I just pulled this chicken off my weber kettle a couple hours ago ... marinated for 24 hours - dusted with a lil' Smokin' Guns Hot - quick char over direct heat, then moved to indirect & added a couple chunks of applewood & smoked for about an hour ~ sauced with a lil' Arthur Bryant's Original.

Hope I did this right ... first post.

Oops ... just realized the BBQ Forum pin was in that photo. I been posting over there for several years.

Chez said:
Oops ... just realized the BBQ Forum pin was in that photo. I been posting over there for several years.

Welcome John--I see you visited Cattle Call allready.

No problem on the pin. Many of our guys hang out in various places.
No big deal :lol:

Great looking Chickie! I need a late night snack now :lol:

TIM

Thanks for the welcome, Kapn ~ glad the pin didn't offend anyone. The other forum tends to git a lil' *testy* when someone mentions another forum/website. Glad you boys are a lil' more laid back.

almost bought the gold series but didnt see the justification in another 50 dollars lol.. if i was gonna spend that much would have just bought a WSM lol..

Chez said:
Thanks for the welcome, Kapn ~ glad the pin didn't offend anyone. The other forum tends to git a lil' *testy* when someone mentions another forum/website. Glad you boys are a lil' more laid back.

You mean we are not the center of the intenet? There are other sites?

BOT You are gonna use that new webber and wonder why it took you so long to go get it.

Well ended up waking up at 430 am thanks to McDonalds on the way home from the bar. got up brewed a pot of coffee and fired up the kettle and broke it in, let it burn till we got in from mass. Just got it fired up to start cookin, gonna through a couple of maple fatties on for now while i brine some quarters. will let ya know how it turns out.
(will try to take some pics with my camera phone if they turn out will post em.)

FAttys came out great were gone before i could snap a photo.. my only complaint is the lack of space lol.. can not even do a whole bag of chicken quarters at one time.

Is it imperative that when im indirect cooking on the kettle that i put coals on both sides? or can i just place more coals on one side and leave the other open for food.?

FatDaddy said:
Is it imperative that when im indirect cooking on the kettle that i put coals on both sides? or can i just place more coals on one side and leave the other open for food.?

Jason,
Either way should work fine.
Most of the time I put the coals in the middle and lay the meat around the outside edges.
You can also lay the briquets in an "S" form and start one end for a little slower cook.
You just have to play around with it and have fun.

The charcoal will burn faster on one side than the other. Try and figure out which and only load that side. I have never really noticed what makes this phenomenon occur! The Weber Kettle is an ESSENTIAL in anyone's arsenal! Good Choice! Woodreaux!

Back