Mini brisket cook (pics included)

I

infernooo

Hi folks!

Just a couple of photos from a recent brisket cook I did. I am currently undergoing a mammoth taste test that I have been doing for a month and am still progressing through. Consists of taste testing commercial rubs and bbq sauces on ribs and brisket.

Being in Australia,, many of you probably read my post about the inability to obtain a proper beef brisket packet cut: http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55610

I recently ordered a couple on my quest to find the proper cut, and found something close, but they are clearly from much younger/smaller cows and only weigh in at about 5 pounds (the whole "packer" that is, not just the flat!). This one was rubbed with Smokin' Guns rub (http://www.smokingunsbbq.com/products.cfm), no mustard slather so that I got nothing but the pure flavour of the beef and the rub, smoked without foiling until it was tender.

My notes show that it was quite sweet, slightly spicy, noticeably salty, with a mild flavour - a nice all-purpose rub without any overly dominant flavours.

Here are a couple of pics (click on thumbnails for larger pics), please excuse the bright green cutting-up-board :)

Well, photobucket is down for maintenance, but from what I can tell from the thumbnail pics, it looks like you've done quite well!

Thats not a packer, looks like a decent size flat though.

Are you cutting across the grain?

Nice smokering! :biggrin:

Looks good. Quite a smoke ring. Would have been nice to see pre cook. How much fat cap did it have?

Thanks for the kind words folks!

Norcoredneck: I'll see if I have any pre-cook pics, the fat cap was about 1/4 - 1/2" thick.

Bubba: It indeed was a packer, but a VERY small one like I said... the point section was absolutely tiny (less than 1/2lb) unfortunately as this is my favourite part! Yep cutting across the grain, just did a cross section for the photos and to get to the middle to see how I did overall. Once I did that I started slicing at an angle to get it across the grain :).

Back