Grilling tips from a pro????

igolf2

is one Smokin' Farker
Saw this on Yahoo food.

Wrong Ways to Grill From Adam Perry Lang

" Adam Perry Lang, a remarkable chef and grill master"

"Not Soaking Wood Chips: Often, the wood you're using will be too dry, which won't release that beautiful smolder. The water slows down the burn because the water has to cook off before the wood around it ignites. While this is happening, you get just the right amount of smoke. "

Hmmmmm...maybe I am doing it wrong:biggrin: - steam and creosote....yum

Saw this on Yahoo food.

Wrong Ways to Grill From Adam Perry Lang

" Adam Perry Lang, a remarkable chef and grill master"

"Not Soaking Wood Chips: Often, the wood you're using will be too dry, which won't release that beautiful smolder. The water slows down the burn because the water has to cook off before the wood around it ignites. While this is happening, you get just the right amount of smoke. "

Hmmmmm...maybe I am doing it wrong:biggrin: - steam and creosote....yum

is it smoke or is it steam from the water boiling off?

i have done test with water absorbing weight. After 2 hours the weight of the wood was almost the exact same as it was with no water.

Not my idea of real BBQ. Amazing what some will do just to try to be different. Not particularly good, just differnet. Most of the time it s$cks,

I dunno, I think he has a point, at least when using a gasser. If you are using charocoal, there is no reason to use chips, just throw a chunk or two in there. Soaking chunks accomplishes nothing, since the water won't penetrate the wood enough to make any difference.
Chips on a gasser though are a different story. I've used both regular chips and soaked chips on a gasser, and there is a difference. Regular chips tend to flame out pretty quick, while soaked chips will put out smoke quite a bit longer.
I didn't read the article, but if you are using a gasser I do see the advantage of soaking chips. Using charcoal though, I would never think about using chips, I'd only use chunks. I agree with Meat Burner though, it's not real BBQ, but if you were going to use a gasser I'd go with soaked chips.

Last edited:
I've never soaked chips.. but I would not doubt it until I try it.. Saiko's thoughts make sense to me..

Adam Perry Lang is the real deal though... Here's a pic from a Brethren outing at his Daisy May's BBQ joint a few years ago.. That beef rib he is slicing below for us was the best beef rib I've ever eaten.

Last edited:
I have to agree with ya.
Even on the Drums, I add some wet and some dry chunks.
On the Gasser (that I sold for big bucks last week),
the chips had to be wet.

Weiser

I dunno, I think he has a point, at least when using a gasser. If you are using charocoal, there is no reason to use chips, just throw a chunk or two in there. Soaking chunks accomplishes nothing, since the water won't penetrate the wood enough to make any difference.
Chips on a gasser though are a different story. I've used both regular chips and soaked chips on a gasser, and there is a difference. Regular chips tend to flame out pretty quick, whole soaked chips will put out smoke quite a bit longer.
I didn't read the article, but if you are using a gasser I do see the advantage of soaking chips. Using charcoal though, I would never think about using chips, I'd only use chunks. I agree with Meat Burner though, it's not real BBQ, but if you were going to use a gasser I'd go with soaked chips.

Back