Cambro Question

RangerJ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Purchased a Cambro off of Craigslist. Typically, Brisket and Pork would get wrapped with a towel, while in foil and into the cooler.

If I'm using a pan or sheet to hold with the cambro do I still need a towel or just foil over the top?

Thanks.

If it is a front load, we use a pan just so it doesn't leak into the bottom and leak out or have to be cleaned out.

If it is a top load, I always use a pan, for the same reason. I use a couple of towels if I use the top load, but don't really need it....

my $0.02 worth.

I use a pan and cover with foil.

I used my new cambro for the first time and put a tray with two shoulder and a brisket in at nine am and at six pm they were still plenty hot and the pork was still as most as when I used meat at turn in time.No foil.

Don't need a towel, Cambro's hold heat well. Rather than foil, I like regular butcher paper (red or white) on top of my steamer pans. It breaths a bit and helps maintain bark.

as a rule do you guys warm the cambo with hot water pan first or not?

I've used a steamer tray full of river rock brought up to temp in a kettle and covered in foil to pre-heat and hold temp. Works well.

If it's a cool morning, then yes a pan of hot water a 1/2 hour prior to adding meat. Once the butts and or brisket is in it stays hot. And we pan with foil only.

We have flat lids for the pans so if we have pre sliced for service we use them rather then foil, it looks nicer.

No towels, and if you are adding a couple of butts and a couple of briskets keep in mind that they can continue to cook with that much heat load in a small sealed area.

Wrapped and put in pans over here.

I have used a couple (foil wrapped) hot bricks to pre-heat but only if it’s really cold out, and I’m not stuffing much meat in the thing.

A better use for your towel may be to cover the Cambro if it’s sitting in the sun…I left mine in the back of the truck one day (empty) and the exterior got so hot it buckled and almost cracked :redface:. It’s a black one…if I get another one I’ll try for a lighter color, for that reason.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Foil meat and put in cambro here

A better use for your towel may be to cover the Cambro if it’s sitting in the sun…I left mine in the back of the truck one day (empty) and the exterior got so hot it buckled and almost cracked :redface:. It’s a black one…if I get another one I’ll try for a lighter color, for that reason.

Good luck!

I believe I may have had something similar happen to mine....the top and bottom of my doors are bent outwards and the middle is sucked in...bad enough to where the gaskets are not touching.....I noticed this at Pleasant Hill couple weekends ago!!!

I use our as a cooler first (with ice on top) and once one is empty (we use two of the 400's) it gets warmed up with hot water to stor the meat when it's ready.

Oh, and yes, we foil.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

This is probably why my last brisket was perfect coming off the cooker then over cooked after 2 hours in double foil and towelled in the cambro!

If you're going to cambro your comp meat make sure you pull them at least 5 degrees less than what your final temp should be, the carry over cooking of a cambro is something you can't avoid.

you can vent it all you want, but once you put the meat in there, unless you're leaving the door open, or opening it every 10 minutes the food's only going to lose a degree or 2 of temp an hour.

Back