Chuckie mock mock burnt ends questions

Untraceable

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ive seen a few people post about making fake burnt ends from cubed chuck. Ive got about an 11lb chunk of chuck unthawing right now and want to take a stab at this. Any advice? Ive made cubed point burnt ends a few times now and they are ridiculous.

I made them for the chuck roast master TD thing. It worked out well. Granted, I was only using smaller roasts of maybe 2-4lbs but it works fine. Just do it the same as you would with a brisket. Cook until tender then cube and cook more :thumb:\

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1741159

IMAG0413.jpg

IMAG0420.jpg

DSCN0880.jpg

oh, god damn. looks friggin amazing. Im going to cut the roast in half again (it started as a 22lb chuck roll) so I get better smoke and rub coverage.

Many people preach that bigger chuck roasts work better as far as achieving easy to pull beef. However, I have had good success with the smaller "steaks" that I get from Sam's. As you mentioned, the smaller the pieces of meat, the more bark you will have per burnt end. Definitely let us know how it turns out :hungry:

Dang Colonel, I just ate but that made me hungry again! I gotta try that!

ok, so I have it set up as 1 @5.5lb chuck injected and rubbed, will cook as if Im doing brisket and making cubed point

the second @5.5lb roast I sliced in half again and cubed and have it marinating in my beef injection liquids. after 4 hours Im going to drain and rub and put into pans.

theory will be, can a guy get very insane burnt ends by smoking the cubed, marinated, rubbed chuck. or will the more traditional way work better. If both suck, big deal, I cant see anything Im doing as producing a inedible product. might make some killer chili with it too.

My position has always been "why make burnt ends out of anything BUT brisket" It's just never made sense to me to mess with perfection.
HOWEVER after seeing these...

Looks fantastic!

How long did u cook the chuckie before cubing?

Oh, I cooked it until it was pretty much done. Much like doing a brisket. When I did this I was cooking two. One I pulled and the other I cubed. I just let them go until tender and then diced one up.

a link to the photo gallery
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.186280034780303.46793.139456032796037&type=1

well, I ended up overcooking the batch that I cubed pre smoke. at the 3hr mark, I checked them and they were tender juicy, slightly burnt. I figured another hour would get the bark there. well they kind of dried out a bit. not horrible but not as good as they were an hour earlier. very intense flavor. probably going to put them in some chili today.

I did a batch that was done more like a brisket. foiled the chuck around 157, took off after 1.5hr in foil, rest, cubed and back on. very good. tender, moist, the natural bark was amazing. I didnt get a decent fake bark though.

all in all, it was good, very flavorful and intense nuggets of beef bbq. I dont think you would fool anyone into thinking that it was point. there was just that chuck texture thats always going to be there. I would totally do it as a bbq side dish/ appetizer.

****! this almost trumps the pecan pie stuffed fattie... almost.

For caterers... this is a great idea. It cheapens in cost and time and still looks good. Even though I love Clods a little med rare, which is not something you can do to a brisket.

Kenny Rogers and the Red Menace. What Kenny can do to people.

Hilarious Seinfeld Clip (S8E08) - YouTube

Good looking stuff Untraceable. I would be all over any of that. I also love your WSM carts. Very nicely done. Did you pay to have the stainless steel fabbed for you?

Its one of those "my dads coworker/buddy does alot of fab work on the side" things. The cart on the left was the original and then the cart on the right was the second. tried to make it a little more cost effective. Both are awesome but the second one has a lid holder setup that is worth every penny of the cart. both frames are powdercoated

Back