Main smoker chamber grates. Slide out or not Yes or no ?

Dukecdn

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Hello
I am building an offset smoker. I am not to sure if I want my main level grates to be slide out or not. My smoker will have 2 doors on the main chamber. The main chamber is a little over 5’
What is everyone opinion on grates? Pros and cons of both.
Thank you

Slide out.
Flippin', Spritzin', temping, maybe even for un/loading while there's meat on the other grates. Really can't think of a con other than a couple bucks more to build it.

You didn't say what your chamber diameter will be or whether you will have upper grates. Also, you didn't say how big your doors will be. If you have Franklin style doors with a small arc I can see some value in slide out grates for ease of access. If you have Workhorse style doors with a larger arc, and if you have only one grate level, I don't see a reason for the grates to slide out. Also keep in mind that slide out means stuff dripping off your meat onto the ground. That might be OK where you're going to place your pit, or it might not.

Love slide out on my Shirley 42x24… can’t think of a Con.

Had fixed on previous and think I like slide out better. Probably not a huge deal either way though

My Blue Smoke bottom grates do not slide - I don’t mind - but in the end doesn’t perfect performance and really a personal preference

Oh man, they have to slide out! What you don't need to do is to build latches on them that keep them from sliding out. And I don't even add handles, which get in the way. I just grab them with a chef's fork, which I always have when cooking. Reaching way back down in there to grab a 15 pound whole pork shoulder in the back? That's a trip to the ER for some of us. Make it easy on yourself. Slide it out. Lift out the roast while standing straight up. Live for another day.

Reaching way back down in there to grab a 15 pound whole pork shoulder in the back?

Not if the arc on your door is big enough (over the top a bit). Then it's "down" but not so much "in there." 1969 for the win. YMMV

I love the idea of slide out grates but, the ground or concrete will catch a lot of grease, plan accordingly.

Back