First try at smoked Tri Tip

B

Barbarian

Been wanting to try Tri Tip of a while but never got around to it. Got them at Costco, they were Choice and the two totaled 4.78 lbs.

Smoked on the UDS with wine barrel oak, Smokin' Guns Hot rub on one and LCs rub on the other. Let the drum get up to 300 because it seemed to want to and put the meat on. Thought they would take about two hours, but . . . . after 50 minutes I turned them and then at 1 hour 15 thought I oughta check the temp and said OMG they are done!!!! Internal was at 150, a bit more then I wanted but okay.

Ate the small one last night with LCs rub, one pic shows the wife trying to steal a bite while I am busy trying to take a pic. Can't wait to dig into the big one next!!!!!!!

Next time I will talk the drum into it's normal 250 range and use the Maverick remote so I can get them off at 140.

Boy were they tasty and juicy. Much better then the grilled ones I have eaten around here. I see no reason to grill these things, they were fine.

Attachments

• DSC03723.jpg
    DSC03723.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC03725.jpg
    DSC03725.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC03727_2.jpg
    DSC03727_2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC03729_2.jpg
    DSC03729_2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 77
Looks good.

Tri Tip is about as good as it gets.

And yes they dont take very long to cook, I like to pull them at 135 and let em rest for 15 mins or so.

Good Eats

thanks for posting that, I am going have to try smoking tri's soon

Great looking tri tip, I also will have to try smokin one sone.

I need to try this too. I was in the Santa Maria area last month and while I was up there I picked up some red oak and pinquito beans. Maybe next weekend I'll have to do a Santa Maria style barbecue.

Back