How to plan a prime rib cook?

Jeff Selle

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey everyone I am going to give a company a quote for smoked prime rib for 200 people (no sides, just the meat). But, I am not sure how many people you can serve with one prime rib. If I recall back in my restaurant days we could get nearly 20 people fed on one prime rib... still, I don't want to run out or appear to be skimping on the portions either...

Anyone have a formula for how much prime rib to purchase? and would you price it the same as you guys suggested on the Brisket thread? 3 times the cost?

Thanks in advance for the advice

I typically allow 2/3 lb uncooked per person for a normal feed of prime rib. I was told 1/2 lb. per person by butcher, but that results in a little over 1/4 lb per person which seems skimpy to me.

PR for 200 I got:

155 lbs raw meat
100 lbs cooked (65% yield)
at 1/2 lb per person that will get you 200 servings.

I would sure try to get the sides. Two problems with not doing the entire cook is that if someone gets sick, you get blamed. Second reason is that the sides is where you can increase your bottom line as they are more profitable and you are going to be there anyway.

Thanks guys... I will start with that...and I hear you Pork, I tried to get the sides but they want to potluck that... go figure.

Thanks guys... I will start with that...and I hear you Pork, I tried to get the sides but they want to potluck that... go figure.

The problem with this scenario is that you are setting yourself up for the liability of all of the foods served. You will have no control over the safe handling of the sides, yet if someone does get ill from poorly prepared or handled food, you are lumped in with all of the preparers. Don't mean to be a wet blanket, but please take this into consideration.

Back