Reverse Flow In Progress

bluetang

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I picked up a 120 and a 100 gallon propane tank to put together a reverse flow smoker. This is where I've gotten so far. It's a learn as you go project for me. I don't weld, and as of today, there are no welders in my area worried about losing their jobs!

The smaller one will be the firebox, larger one, the reverse flow. The larger tank is 24" x 66".

Cut open:clap2:
RFopenedtanks.jpg

Leveled up for marking out the doors.
RFleveled.jpg

Cutting out the doors. They were 1/4 of the tank circumference in height. I left the corners uncut until the hinges were welded on.
RFcutdoors.jpg

For the hinges, I took 5/8 steel rod and heated them up in an old farriers forge and bent a 90 for the pins.
RFforge.jpg

RFanvil.jpg

I took the cut off end from the firebox and welded on an angle iron and used that to form the tanks curvature to the hinge pin.
RFpincurved2.jpg

RFpin.jpg

I welded 4" pieces of 1x1 angle for the hinge staples
RFweldstaple.jpg

RFdoor.jpg

I was able to utilize the cut off end from the firebox for strips for the doors:thumb:
RFsalvage.jpg

I went with two doors while leaving the smoker opening unobstructed in the event a whole hog comes to town:-D
RFclosed.jpg

RFopen.jpg

That's all I've done so far, I'm out of steel and $$. Next week is a killer week for work, so maybe I can give it a whack next weekend. Thanks for looking, and please comment, all help is so appreciated!

Last edited:
Wow that's looking great!! Nice work...
I love the old forge too. :-D

Thanks! I bought that forge from a friend of my dads many years ago. I made my first knife with it and, although I use an electric furnace now a days, the old forge always comes back into play.

Thanks! I bought that forge from a friend of my dads many years ago. I made my first knife with it and, although I use an electric furnace now a days, the old forge always comes back into play.

That's great Blue! I didn't know that you made knives.... do you have a web site?:cool:
(sorry for the hijack)

how are you going to figure out how much of a gap in the baffle to leave open on the opposite end from the fire box? I am very interested in reverse flow builds like yours. Thanks for posting.

That's great Blue! I didn't know that you made knives.... do you have a web site?:cool:
(sorry for the hijack)
No, no website. I made them hot and heavy in the day, but it's just a hobby now. Most are made of D2, but I'm (shutter to think) leaning towards 440C because of corrosion resistance. Also there are are a few " exotics" out there, CPM's and such that I'll try out. Keeps me off the streets:wink:.

how are you going to figure out how much of a gap in the baffle to leave open on the opposite end from the fire box? I am very interested in reverse flow builds like yours. Thanks for posting.
Winging it here as well, but I think( subject to change) about a 7" opening from the end of the tank to the plate.

Yeah bro, those doors looking great! I'll be watching! :thumb:

Cheers

Yeah bro, those doors looking great! I'll be watching! :thumb:

Cheers
Thanks, I didn't make a single cut without referring back to your build, actually I went back to yours daily!

I saw a pic in the Wordless thread,I was like:"oh no he didn't!"
Awesome BlueTang,I'll keep an eye on this thread!

Very Cool, and I like your "old school" approach. Keep us posted. BTW somewhere I saw a formula for "cooking area, firebox size, baffle opening" for a reverse flow cooker. You may have already seen it. I will check back in my records and post if I can find it.

Reverse Flow In Progress- UPDATE

Well, finally got some steel and some time to work on the smoker so I thought that I would update on the progress. First off, I got the tank stripped, what a job! I then cut out the firebox. I decided to go 1/4" plate instead of using the smaller tank. I made it 22"wide, 24" long, 24" high. Slightly larger than the 1/3 thing.
rfcutbox.jpg

rfclamped.jpg

rfclamped3.jpg

rfboxweld.jpg

Notice the three holes at the top? I'm calling them "practice holes":icon_blush:
rf2door.jpg

rf2door1.jpg

Vent handle and got the box welded to the tank
rf2handle.jpg

IMG_0153.JPG

I found some commercial hinges at Lowes on clearance for 1.49 a piece and couldn't resist.
IMG_0156.JPG

Welded in the grease trough. Gonna try to get the drain pipes and Rf plates in today. I was given a trailer:-D, have to go to Gainesville to get it, about 4 hours from here. That'll be in a week or so.

IMG_0163.JPG
Thanks for looking and please comment as all help is appreciated!

Back