Possible Wood Source

Solidkick

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Brothers,

I came across this guy and gal's EBay store. I think I'm going to try some of their wood products. I'm looking at buying some apple, cherry, grape, and pear. I know I'm posting early, in case you would like to try some yourselves. I will post a follow up on how the transaction went and if I am satisfied. At that time, if all goes well, I might see if I can negotiate a brethren discount. We're in the emailing stage right now.
Thanks for your time,
Mr. Kick

http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=24292187&ssPageName=L2

Update: 02/20/04

I had a little difficulty setting up the PayPal account, seems AOL deams email from them as spam, so all correspondence was going to the spam folder. got that figured out with a phone call.

I purchased the 4 pack (32 lbs) broken into apple, pear, sugar maple, and grape. this was 16.99
I got a 5 lb pack of cherry, this was 4.00
I got a 5 lb pack of mullberry, this was 3.99

Total wood: 42 lbs for 24.98
Shipping: 14.00
Total purchase 38.98

I should be set for awhile. Order finalized today, let's see how quick I get it.

I mention to him in my email about our wonderful BBQ club, about possible future purchases from the brotherhood, and maybe working out a possiblity of a discount situation. I'll let you know if I get a positive response!!

Nothing against Hawgeyesbbq.com, great site, good people, good products' but their wood is 1.09 per lb plus shipping. As you can see here, this ended up under 1.00 per pound including shipping

Got the wood today. It was just a little light of being what was promised weight wise, but the quality looks good enough to make up for it. I think I'll give him another try.
Here's what the shipment looked like.

Dude.............. Did you really pay almost $40 for that box of wood?

Wow!!!!!!!!!!

Ya wanta buy some hickory or apple? I'll sell it to ya for half the price.

Sorry man, my opinion, but I think ya got a raw deal.

Are ya gonna make it up to my place in September? If so are ya driving? I'll make sure you have plenty of whatever I have.

OUCH!!!!!

I've been drinking here so forgive me, but a chainsaw and some knocking on doors goes a long farking way man.

Come on Greg; tell us how you really feel?

I'm in the wrong farking business man.

Just one question Greg,
Do you knock on the door before or after you cut the POOPIE out of your neighbors tree?

With the flaps open on the box to show the different types of wood, and shooting the picture from over the top, the box looks (I admit) pretty thin. But the box stands 14" high and is 20" long. Compared to what I have paid for pre packaged bags of apple and cherry locally this is a better deal.

Greg is right, I probably could get 2 to 3 times as much for half the price by just asking around and seeing who has wood they need removed, or an orchard clearing out trees, etc.

In a way, I wanted to share this experience to give others an opportunity to get various types of woods that may not be native to their local surroundings. I'm sure the Southern Chapter has tons of mesquite they can get their hands on, but what if one wants to try to cook with sugar maple? I don't know what trees are actually native to every area, so I was trying to share an alternative (possible) wood source.

Hey, I'm not angry, upset, or hurt by any comments. And I'll be sure to post in QTalk the experiences of cooking with grape and mullberry. :)

That's a little better. It looked like the box was about 4 inches tall.

Dear Mr. Kick:

If you got a digital camera, I believe it would be of significant value for you and others if you could take a good close-up picture of each type. It could be an aid to identification.

If you choose to accept this mission, it is important to get close-up pics in pairs of the bark side along with the wood gran. We can make a folder in the files section for wood types and other can add to it too. That way, people will have a good pictorial reference guide to go out scrounging with. Thus saving money for more pork, beef, beer (not necessarily in that order).

So howsaboutit?

BTW: Would one of the moderators please move this entire thread to the Q section?

I am always looking for a good deal on wood! Where I live there are few to no trees, so any wood is hard to come by. I usually pay $20 for a 50lb bag at Menards but they only have it during the summer, and only choices are hickory and mesquite.

All you guys with wood to spare how about setting up a trading system so some of us less fortunate brothers can sample other types of wood?

The trading system is called the trading post :)

Join it, and each round ask your trading partner for Wood. 10# box of wood every 6 weeks ain't bad, and you can share something from South Dakota or something.

Just a thought.

midnight:

$20/50 lb = $0.40 per pound.

Tha't s more or less what shipping would cost depending on the origin. Still interested?

Thanks solidkick. Your pear l and mulberry look exactly like mine (scrounged for free) Whoda thunkit?

Now if we can get one of the moderators to make a folder in the file section, we will have a great start on our wood scrounging guide!

I volunteer to finalize the guide as a pdf once we get some more pics of other wood from other members.

parrothead said:
Dude.............. Did you really pay almost $40 for that box of wood?

Ya wanta buy some hickory or apple? I'll sell it to ya for half the price.

Sorry man, my opinion, but I think ya got a raw deal.

I've been drinking here so forgive me, but a chainsaw and some knocking on doors goes a long farking way man.

Depends on where ya live!

Here are the woods where I live:
Pine
Cotton Wood
Aspen (100 mile drive)
None are good smoking wood.

One guy imports hard wood, I was there a year ago and Hickory was $480 a cord + delivery. :shock: :x

Bend over mod. :shock:

Thats what they get for oak around here($450 cord). I use mostly split Ash for my heat and add another wood for flavor, hicory and mesquite are about all I can get.
I do have about 40-50 lbs of apple that a neighbor gave me last year, but it won't last very long.

I have ordered wood on the internet before but I am always looking for a better deal. If ya all got wood to sell cheap let me know!

Back