7 Bone Roast...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
My wife saw these at our local market for a prayer but didn't know what they were. I Googled it and came up with this...

7-bone pot roast = 7-bone roast = center cut pot roast = chuck roast center cut Notes: This is a tough cut of meat, so it's usually braised or cooked in liquid to tenderize it. A steak from this roast is called a 7-bone steak.

The 7-bone roast is from the chuck section of the steer of heifer and it includes a cross cut of the shoulder blade. The bone itself is shaped like a "7", which gives the roast its name.

She's going back to the market tomorrow to pick up a couple...looks like I'll be smokin' a "7 Bone Chuckie" this weekend! :biggrin: I've not done one yet...any tips?

I have no problem at all with a bone-in chuckie. See if she can get the thickest ones they have. I usually barbecue them till 160° internal, then (depending on color) I'll do a foil finish or go into a covered aluminum pan with some broth.

dsc02328aL.jpg

Cool..thanks Wayne. I'll pass it on to my wife...she said they were about 3 inches thick...sound about right?

Bougth a couple last week in Galveston. $1.27 a pound at Randall's. Never saw one before - it was about 3 1/2" thick and weighed in at 7.45 lbs. I figure that'll take a least one fatty and 12 beers to finish on a good Saturday.

If you can get em with some good fat marbeling, i would go the other end of the scale....200, 210 220+...whatever it takes to make that roast tender!! You'll have some FINE pulled beef!! :biggrin:

Did a 6.5#. Came out really great.

Sear it. Smoke it heavy for 4 hours. Put it in a double thick foil pan with 3 cups of McCormick Au Jus, covered, in the oven set at 250*. Leave until internal at 200*. A little fat and grissle in this cut.

Can be sliced or pulledc after removal of bones, fat, and grissle. Put Au Jus in a bowl and in to freezer to cool. After 1 or 2 beers, juice will be cool and fat will be solid on top; discard fat. Put some of the juice on top of sliced or pulled and gently nuke. Wonderful. Serve on top of toasted/buttered French buns.

Start to finish about 8 hours this way for a 6.5 pounder.

Oh I LOVE those roasts. Years ago when I lived in Gunnison, Colorado, we used to get these on sale at $.77 lb. These were huge too! I would do them in the over with garlic, salt, and pepper. I never added any water until the end and I'd cook them uncovered. Bot these things have the best flavor in the world. My old blue tic hound would naw on the blade bone all night long. We would always stock up on these and had them ALL the time. You couldn't get one of these around here if you begged.

I love chuck roasts of all kinds and a seven bone roast is a good one too! Not just good for BBQ or pot roast, but other things like burritos, tacos, enchilada and even BBQ Egg Rolls (pictured below)!

11-16-07014-1.jpg
11-16-07038-1.jpg
11-16-07042.jpg
11-16-07020-1.jpg
11-16-07046.jpg
11-16-07060-1.jpg

I just saw on at the super market yesterday but didn't pull the trigger. I am going back today... that looks awesome on the smoker.

Damn that looks good... I did one of those a couple of weeks ago for chili... I weighed in a little over 11 pounds... Took it to 195*, foiled for a couple of hours and then pulled it... Great stuff!!!
DSCF2180.jpg

DSCF2183.jpg

(The bonus was that there were a couple ribs still attached, snack time for the cook!)
DSCF2181.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks folks...looks like good stuff. If they're as cheap as she says they are I'll have her grab a few for the freezer. :p

Ohhh every bit of this thread is beautiful!!

Larry what 's going on in the last picture?

Always thought that a 7 bone roast had 7 bones in it.:oops: That chit looks great!! Gotta try it now!!

this was a REALLY bad thread to read with no breakfast had, and no lunch in site.

Fark... anyone know if its safe to eat a mouse?

mouse_02.jpg

Ohhh every bit of this thread is beautiful!!

Larry what 's going on in the last picture?

I was trying to be creative! Doesn't it look like one of those peppers is staring at you?? LOL

this was a REALLY bad thread to read with no breakfast had, and no lunch in site.

Fark... anyone know if its safe to eat a mouse?

mouse_02.jpg
Take it to 195*, foil it for 20 minutes... Be sure to save the tail to use as floss...

And very creative it is!! I just want to dive into them and never return.

Man, those roast pic was nice looking I am going to do a chuck one of these days.

Back