Hors d' oeuvres

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
A couple of weeks ago I cooked 200 ABTs, a bunch of fatties and some Chicken for a wedding reception.

I've been asked to do a tasting for another possible reception and I need some ideas.

This is not a sit down meal. More like small "bites" of food that people can put on a small plate and eat with toothpicks. (I hope I'm painting the right picture).

Does anyone have any specific ideas they can share with me. I need something new I can try.

Please be as specific and descriptive as possible. If this one works out, then it's official launch of Sunset City BBQ Company and I get to know the health department and everything.

Those pig fingers (bacon wrapped chicken strips) are really good. I did some last week and gave them a nice Blues Hog basting. Mmmmmmm...

I have seen chicken tenders wrapped in bacon - I am sure you can scale that down and who wouldn't like that?

How about ribletts - in the past I have had my butcher cut BBs lenghtwise so the ribs are sliced in half.

Not sure how pinkie's up this gig is but those are my 2 cents.

Good luck!

Water Chestnuts wrapped in bacon and smoked with a little bbq sauce. Very simple and very good! :wink:

May want to par-fry the bacon before wrapping so the water chestnut does not dry out or cook at high temp.

For some UW Tailgate parties I often make Skewered Chicken Tenders that are marinated in pineapple juice/etc and skewered Hoisin Beef (or venison) using flank/skirt steak.

When food is on a stick - it just tastes better. If you are interested in the exact recipe(s) - let me know & I can post them (they are on paper now).

Heres a couple of things that go well on this side of the pond ( besides ABT´s wich are a winner here, too)

Bratwurst-pineapple tortillas :

Cut Pineapple into chunks and season with sugar, cinnamon and chili powder.
Grill until golden brown and soft.
Take a good, not too thin brat and cut its crosswise on both sides
. Grill it over indirect heat until almost done, then put over direct heat until crisp. Baste with a mix of maple syrup and apple juice if you like.

Grill the tortillas over direct heat until soft and hot.
Put a line of ruccola in the middle of the tortilla, top with pineapple chunks and bratwurst and top with a "cocktail" style sauce (thats what they are calles here).

Roll the thing up, insert some toothpicks and cut into pieces. You can also cut in halft for two servings.

57_110807_048_Medium_1.jpg

57_110807_049_Medium_1.jpg

57_110807_050_Medium_1.jpg

57_110807_046_Medium_1.jpg

57_110807_047_Medium_1.jpg

Grilled Pineapple chunks on a stick or pineapple moons with a grape stuck in the middle are also nice fingerfood. Use the sugar, cinnamon, chili mix for those too

57_110807_039_Medium_2.jpg

Planked Salmon, cut into pieces with toothpicks inserted are also a niece variation

57_110807_055_Medium_1.jpg

57_110807_057_Medium_1.jpg

Bacon wrapped dates, stuffed with cream cheese if you like are a winner too.

How bout our grilled pralines ? We scored bigtime with those on every competition so far.Womem fight over these.

57_DGM_072_Medium_1.jpg

Miniature mars, Snickers, Milky way or other pralines or chocolate bars, rolled in a (wet) really thin trukish yufka or filo dough.
After rolling em up and making sure the sides are closed, they have to be brushed with a little vegetable oil to prevent sticking.

Then you can cook them on low direct heat or preferably a griddle with 1/4 " of oil.

57_110807_094_Medium_1.jpg

Serve with whipped cream or vanilla sauce and strawberry sauce.

Good luck on that event.

DM

corn beef dip with those little slices of rye bread I think you cook smoke your corn beef and it make a great dip

I like these bacon wrapped chicken tenders cut into bite-sized pieces served with dippin' sauces.:biggrin:
You could also do bacon wrapped shrimp or scallops on the grill.:cool:

100_0305Small.jpg

Back