New Charcoal Chimney/Dinner

iceman78

Full Fledged Farker
Well I bought a chimney and threw away the fluid, my apologies grilling gurus, please accept my apologies!

P1030568.jpg

P1030572.jpg

I then of course had to cook dinner... made some chicken with some John Henry rub. I also made a few Armadillo Eggs. That with a Fat Tire made the night complete...
P1030574.jpg

P1030575.jpg

P1030589.jpg

Everything looks great!! For a while it looked as if you were using the chimney with the gas grill.:icon_bugeyed (Gotta have a long talk with that boy mode):lol:

Looks good and ya know, a couple of pieces of newspaper are a lot cheaper than lighter fluid. :biggrin:

Looks awesome! I remember the day I kicked the fluid. Not beer I mean lighter fluid! Too bad chimneys never keep that nice look. My first one has a nice rust color to it. The new weber chimney is way better and holds more coals. Around 15 dollars at Lowe's

Great looking dinner... I bought my first charcoal chimney today... we have been getting the UDS started with the weed burner, but I'll leave that fun to the hubby... this is for me and future grilling/smoking apparatus... (we'll let the hubby know later)

I've never been a fan of lighter fluid, and when I was a kid, that smell on the breeze meant someone was firing up a grill, but now, it's not such a joyous smell anymore... plus hazy memories of guys in college saying "hey watch this..."

Fat Tire - another nice choice - can't go wrong with New Belgium brews.

Looks mighty tasty!
Gonna have to try the Armadillo eggs, heard their name before, didn't know what they were.

My first one was a wally world special and now I use a weber one. I like the weber one a lot better.
I also use sterno to light the chimney - let it get going then put out the sterno for future use

My first one was a wally world special and now I use a weber one. I like the weber one a lot better.
I also use sterno to light the chimney - let it get going then put out the sterno for future use

I use the lighter cubes.

I also find that my gasser gets hot enough to light the charcoal. Just set it on the grill and let it go for a few minutes before shutting off the gas.

a single napkin soaked in cooking oil is all you need. it burns like a candle and leaves very little ash behind. very cheap and doesn't make a bunch of smoke either. give it a try. fold up the napkin into a wick and toss in a bowl, pour in some oil and let it soak it up.

save yer $$$ and get a weber chimney. like day and night to the one ya got but its a great start. i use diamonds strike a fire. i cut each stick into four pices. one piece is enough to start he coals. cheap.

After looking at the pics I am wondering I know there is a rule that says no pics didn't happen, I am contemplating a "no invite didn't happen" idea. That meal looks great larry I am just wondering when I peed in your cherrios thus not recieving an invite?

Don't Throw away the lighter fluid!!!! Being Earth day it is horrible in the land fill. It has a lot of good uses none of which involve cooking food. I wouldn't buy any but given some it is good for starting wet wood, weeds, etc.. on fire just not good for Charcoal. I use the method Bob described with veggie oil and a paper towel.

Back