Rate my box

R

Rub-A-Dub

Here is my turn in box for my ribs this weekend. What would you score this box. What would you change. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Compbox1.JPG
    Compbox1.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 496
Garnish should frame the product. And fill the voids around the product. As a general rule the garnish should come to the lip of the box. In other words, it should be as even around the ribs as possible. I hope this makes sense. It is much easier with leaf lettuce.

If that picture is the front of the box down then you put the ribs in backwards. Put the first layer down at the back of the box and then overlap the 2nd. When the box is open and tilted it looks much better and you don't see a bunch of bone ends sticking out at you.

Upper left rib looks like the outside edge is a little ragged. Immediately caught my attention. I would have buried those 4 unless the other 4 are worse. And you could fix that with a small paint brush and a little sauce.

If you're going to use garnish then use green leaf. Order it ahead if needed. Buy those green bags that keep it fresh for weeks and make sure you have the right stuff not romaine. See the comments under the Parsley box thread for comments on greens in a box.

I agree with Ford... turn the ribs around so the bone end isn't pointing out at you. I'd also try for some symmetry and have the ribs on top be more even across. Yeah, don't use romaine. While it is legal, I don't think I've ever seen a box I like that has used it (and those are few and far between). It also looks to me like the ribs are dry. Use a bit of sauce to give them a shine. Looks like you did a pretty nice job cutting them even (except for the small rough area Ford pointed out) and they have nice color. How did you score?

They did not score these event. They just judged on taste and they only anounced the top 4. All big local companys that redonated the money back to the charity. I done this for the experience and to get the RUb-A-Dub name out there. And just to see if I could do it. Man I'm hooked now. Hope I can do better next time at a REAL comp.

I'm a CBJ and I'd give it an 8. The meat looks good except that rib on the upper left -- it's noticeably much darker on the facing end. It's hard to get the colors and textures consistent but you always do better when you do.

Also, I've never seen anyone use romaine. You don't get judged on garnish but on the other hand it's not really enhancing your presentation.

The left top rib looks burnt... And what Ford said. You might try putting something in the sauce to make it shine better, though that could be the photo.

I'd go without garnish rather than use Romaine. and make sure there's no sauce on the lettuce from the meat if you can help it.

Also, i think 4 ribs across look too little; 5 works better, I think, so you'd end up with 10 ribs all together. Fill the box so it looks full, without so much room on the sides.

They look good enough to take a bite, though. :)

Yes I agree that top left rib looks burnt
I would have put the top ribs under the
the bottom ones they look much better
I would have given a 7 appearance
your lettuce does nothing for your box
if that was the only lettuce I had I would
go garnish free.. and the judges would
wonder what happened to our lettuce
maybe they over cooked it :icon_blush:

I would give that box a 6. If you have an 8th rib replace the burnt one on the left, if not use 6. Green leaf lettuce, double stack it and put parsley all the way around.

For appearance I would have to score a 5. It looks like it you didn't have a plan, and threw it together at the last minute. I would concentrate on filling the whole box, front to back and side to side. You don't have to use garnish, but if you do use it, make it to where the green highlights your meat. Also the ends of your ribs are at angles. I would choose a straighter set of ribs for that style of presentation, or lay them out to where they match sizing side by side. The final thing is color of the meat, make sure that all of the meat you put in your box has the same distinguishing color.
I am a tough judge, but I'm fare.

Looks like Imperial County Que ta me
The guy growin the Romain probably had an
exclusive LOL

I'm sorry but I think a 5 or even a 6 is a little harsh. I'd be shaking my head if I got a 5 on that box. Why are you scoring down so much?

Yeah, that one rib is a little dark, and the edge of the same one is a little ragged, but they look good enough to want to eat them right quick.

Yeah, the lettuce is a little messy, which takes away slightly from the overall presentation, but romaine is still LEGAL. I do agree with 'up the sides of the box'.

I try to score the MEAT.

I'm a CBJ and I'd give it a 7 or maybe an 8, depending on what it really looked like sitting in front of me.

I'm sorry but I think a 5 or even a 6 is a little harsh. I'd be shaking my head if I got a 5 on that box. Why are you scoring down so much?

I'm a CBJ and I'd give it a 7 or maybe an 8, depending on what it really looked like sitting in front of me.
I think it's about average for what a judge would see at a contest. I see nothing to make it stand out above average. Average means some better some worse. I'm assuming a weighted distribution rather than a bell curve and that most boxes I see would be average or above and very few would be below average.

I think the 5 is a bit low too. I don't see that box as below average or the starting point of 6. But...

Didn't we discuss that scorecards are changing this year and 6 is no longer the beginning point? Something about the numbers having words associated with them for a score?

I need a refresher on that. (of course it's probably posted in this thread and I skipped over it)

Here's the KCBS new scoring and 6 is average.

The Board of Directors have approved changes in the judging procedures for 2008. After, a year of testing and development, a new judging slip will be used beginning March 1st, 2008. Each number on the judging slip will have a definition associated with it. The starting point of six has been abolished. There will be no starting point. The definitions are as follows.

9 – Excellent
8 – Very Good
7 – Above Average
6 – Average
5 – Below Average
4 – Poor
3 – Bad
2 – Inedible
1 – Disqualified

Back