Bare Ground Solutions Propane Torch

bover

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I want to get a weed burner or other propane torch for lighting my coals on my soon-to-be new UDS, but since I don't have much use for the big tank other than this I started looking to see what alternatives were out there. Has anyone tried this?
Amazon.com: Bare Ground Solutions BB-100 Bare Blaster Snow & Ice Melting Propane Torch: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ru9lW3g%2BL.@@AMEPARAM@@31ru9lW3g%2BL

On the surface it looks like it would be incredibly handy. Lightweight, takes the little 14 oz. or 26 oz. bottles, and inexpensive. It's hard to tell from the description and the reviews however if it'd put out enough flame to effectively light a basket of coals. Y'all think this would work or should I just suck it up and buy a real unit?

Looks like with the small tanks attached that if your lighting the charcoal basket while its sitting in the UDS that you would be forced to put the tank down in the UDS as well. In my opinion not a good idea.

Why not just get one that uses the five gallon tank like used for bbq grills?

Looks like with the small tanks attached that if your lighting the charcoal basket while its sitting in the UDS that you would be forced to put the tank down in the UDS as well. In my opinion not a good idea.

That's a very valid point. It wouldn't be an issue with some smokers, but with a UDS it might unless you had a charcoal access door.

But, to answer the question about would it be sufficient to light charcoal, the answer is yes.

Bernzomatic has a small tank version, too. Seems somebody was on here the other day chiming in about how it works well.

Why not just get one that uses the five gallon tank like used for bbq grills?

IMHO, it would seem the only reason might be that those 20lb tanks aren't all that convenient to lug around. I'm not saying they're impossible to move around, I'm simply saying they are heavier (I know most folks use them to just light charcoal, but heaven forbid you ever really do decide to burn weeds throughout the yard or melt ice in the driveway).

A solution to the problem would be to get the propane fitting adapters so you can run a hose to one of the weedburners. That way you could keep the 1 lb. propane tank away from the flame. That fitting that allows the big tank burners to run off small tanks costs another $20-$25 bucks (which is probably what you'd pay for an extension hose for the ones that are already designed to run off small tanks)

That is a very valid point and thank you for pointing it out, but I was actually planning on lighting the basket outside the drum then lowering in with a wiggler. Should have mentioned that.

That is a very valid point and thank you for pointing it out, but I was actually planning on lighting the basket outside the drum then lowering in with a wiggler. Should have mentioned that.

Just remember, it looks like this when operational. I like the handle, but not so sure about how the tank hang so low.

51OJVP6gegL._SS400_.jpg

Here is that Bernzomatic i mentioned. Lil more expensive (on Amazon) but i think it has an auto lighter, FWIW

31WbQ%2BquljL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Lastly, check out Hell Fire Grill's handywork

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69727

Here is that Bernzomatic i mentioned. Lil more expensive (on Amazon) but i think it has an auto lighter, FWIW

Thanks for the pics! I think I'm going to go for that Bernzomatic. The auto light function would be pretty handy.

Remember, these styles of torches put out a fairly small diameter flame, as opposed to the Harbor Freight style weed burner that seems to be the choice of members here. I'm not sure how practical either of these two that you're looking at would be for lighting a basket of charcoal when your flame might only ignite a couple of coals at a time. There just isn't much flame spread to either of the torch you're considering. The Bernz is rated at 20,000 BTU's, whereas the Harbor Freight basic model is rated at 500,000 maximum BTU's.

Although it may cost a bit more initially, consider the HF weed burner (watch for them to go on sale) and a "Steak Saver". It's a little brass fitting designed to hook a disposable propane cylinder to a standard fitting that would connect to a 20# propane cylinder. The idea behind it is that when your gas grill runs out of fuel in the middle of a cook, you can salvage dinner by using it to screw on a disposable cylinder to the grill. This would eliminate the need for owning/storing a 20# cylinder.

I have an old heavy duty weed burner/roofers torch that connects to a 20# cylinder. I got it used to burn out a drum. I did use it a few times to light a basket of charcoal, but prefer to use the charcoal chimney with a toilet paper core stuffed with a paper towel soaked with a little cooking oil. (I beg forgiveness for not remembering who posted the idea here, but I thank you every time I use my chimney. It works great, and it's fast and cheap)

To me, it's kind of a pain to drag out the torch just to light charcoal. And from personal experience, they will burn weeds, but they don't melt ice worth a damn. But mine will bring the temp up in my uninsulated 2 car garage garage about 40 degrees above the outside temp with about a 10 minute burn, even with the 16' overhead door raised 3".

Just my .02 worth

Chris

Last edited:
I have one it will do the job and it is great the burn off grates in the grill or smoker.

Hey fellas i shrinkwrap boats and i have a torch made by Burners out of Milford Michigan they actually make the torches and all kind of burners in house give them a call and see if can make you something.Its not expensive for custom stuff and if they know they can sell a few they will start running them for sale as a regular item. http://www.burnersinc.com/

Hey fellas i shrinkwrap boats and i have a torch made by Burners out of Milford Michigan they actually make the torches and all kind of burners in house give them a call and see if can make you something.Its not expensive for custom stuff and if they know they can sell a few they will start running them for sale as a regular item. http://www.burnersinc.com/

They need to change their website or I'm doing something wrong, but $184 for a torch is what I call expensive.

L-3-L Torch Only
$ 184.80
Item:
Price:
Qty:

I knew they were kinda pricey but didn't realize how bad i do know if you call them they can probably put a package together for a lot cheaper if you tell them what use it for they take a lot of the stuff out you don't need like a 25ft hose could probably use a 6ft instead and so on and so forth.Thet are very durable though all machined brass and everything is servicable(replacement part) might be worth a try.

They need to change their website or I'm doing something wrong, but $184 for a torch is what I call expensive.

L-3-L Torch Only
$ 184.80
Item:
Price:
Qty:

Back