Smoked Beef Tongue and Beef Heart for the first time

It looks amazing....and I SO WISH I could say I would try it...but...for some reason I just can't mentally take that leap. What is the texture/flavor like?

I've only made tongue once - but it was great. Very beefy flavor and tender like filet. I did a heart once, but don't really remember the outcome - I think we were less than impressed.

The pics above are awesome!

Looks and sounds good I have had tongue before and it was pretty good

It looks amazing....and I SO WISH I could say I would try it...but...for some reason I just can't mentally take that leap. What is the texture/flavor like?

I bet if I gave you a slice of the heart you would never know it was an organ.

Texture is slightly rubbery/chewy but not that far off from beef. Nothing like liver/brains or anything like that. It was quite good :)

Thanks everyone!

Do you peel the tongue or anything?

Yeah. We simmered the tongue in a pot of water with salt, garlic, pepper, celery seed, and a habanero from the garden for about 90 minutes. Took it out, let it cool, and then peeled the skin off. Put some rub on it and threw it on the smoker til it felt tender :)

Nice work, looks delicious.

I'm a big fan of lengua... and someone pastrami'd a beef tongue on here a year or 18 months ago!

Good lookin' grub, man!

That sounds pretty awesome. Nice looking pics too :thumb:

Looks grand! I'd have to give these cuts a try when prepared this nicely.

Gotta hit one of the local Mercados for a tongue one of these weeks. Love smoked tongue!

How interesting, never thought of doing this - but now I have!!!

Looks great!

I've never eaten either of these......but this cook looks awesome. :-D

Tongue looks awesome,looks superbly cooked.
I will pass on the heart, only Heart I will eat is Chicken

Oh man this looks awesome. I knew there was something I wanted to try this summer that I was forgetting. Beef tongue is on the to-do list again.

Looks great. But I'd pass on the tongue. I never liked the texture.
Beef heart tho is something new to try. Thanks!

Back