Tri tip?

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I am thinking of smoking and grilling a tri tip today but I forgot to put it in a marinade last night. The last two I did were marinaded over night and turned out great. So do any of you not marinade tri tips? I am sure it would still be very good but I sure liked the flavor I have gotten from the marinade.
Dave

I do them both ways you can also inject it ether way its all good

I usually season and sear then continue to cook sort of indirect and lower heat to desired temp. Only marinated ones I cooked were pre pakaged Costco Harris Ranch.

I've had good luck with grilled tri-tip that was only marinated a couple hours.

When I put tri-tip in the smoke, I just season it and get it in a low temp smoke for a while, then reverse sear it over hot wood coals.
I never have marinated a tri tip unless I was making fajitas with it.

When I put tri-tip in the smoke, I just season it and get it in a low temp smoke for a while, then reverse sear it over hot wood coals.
I never have marinated a tri tip unless I was making fajitas with it.

That has been my usual method except I have been marinating them thus far. I put them on the weber kettle to one side with a small fire to the other side with a couple hunks of hickory and a pan to catch drippings under the tri tip. When it reaches 135/140 I put it on the hot side and crank up the heat to sear it for a couple three minutes.
Dave

ricks tropical delight way of grilling tri tip is da bomb. check his thread out.

Dave, we just use Montreal Steak Seasoning and then a layer of lemon pepper as the rub. Do the reverse sear on the Weber to 140 and let rest about 5 minutes. Got lucky this week and got a couple of choice 4 lb tri-tips for $2.68 lb. Used a mesquite chunk about 3 inches square, and man it was really good. Maybe our favorate cut. Haven't marinated any but I am sure it's all good.

Only salt and pepper for me please. Lots of salt and pepper.

I sear it at 550-600* for 5 min a side and go indirect for about 20 to 30 min more until 140. Let rest and be prepared for a "blood" bath on the counter top after slicing.

I agree with Meat Burner, I think it is our favorite cut too.

The only marinate I ever use is a local product to CA (from Madera) called "Basque". It's good stuff. Other than that I go salt/pepper, sear, indirect until MR. Tri tips are best when not messed with too much. They have great flavor by themselves so no need to get fancy. Good luck!

If I use a soy sauce, combined with a good Terikaki sauce (Island Bros.), equal parts, and 3 minced garlic cloves, it only needs 2-3 hours marinading time. The soy sauce will over-cure the tri-tip if left longer. Then a light grind of black pepper is all, no additional salt to cook. Five minutes sear on hot coals per side, then indirect for 15 to 20 minutes on a closed Weber kettle, to 130 degrees. Boil the left over marinade and baste the tri-tip at the end of cooking. Heaven.

Back